1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A question about rounded motion

1. Nov 5, 2009 #1
    firstly i want to say this is my first post and english isn't my first language. so im very sorry about mistakes.(spelling etc.)

think a man, he's about 80kg. he is standing on machine that calculates your weight(from now on i call it mtcyw) later he get a thing which is 5kg and tied up a rope. he gets on the mtcyw and mtcyw shows 85kg. this is simple.. now, what if man swinging the thing with rope around his head while on mtcyw ? mtcyw shows under 85kg? or shows 85kg.
    i have no idea with this question and teacher asked me the prove with details and not just the answer, so if you help me i will be so happy.

there is a sketch i made with my super awesome drawing skills;
    http://img20.imageshack.us/i/55035215.jpg/" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2009 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Does he swing it in a horizontal or a vertical circle?

Hint: What forces act on the man? In what direction do they act? Consider how the tension in the rope might affect the scale reading.

4. Nov 5, 2009 #3
    hight of the thing is never changing.

5. Nov 6, 2009 #4

Doc Al

What vertical component of force does the rope exert on the man?

6. Nov 6, 2009 #5
    Yes it effects. Everything effects, like in real life.

7. Nov 6, 2009 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Doc Al did not ask if the swinging weight affects anything. He asked what is the vertical component of force exerted by the rope on the man- a specific number.

8. Nov 6, 2009 #7
    sorry, i understand now. i dont know what is the value of the force, i dont want an spesific answer anyway. all i want to learn is it be the same(weight), or less.

9. Nov 7, 2009 #8

Doc Al

Do this:

Draw a force diagram for the 5kg mass showing all forces acting on it. (Only two forces act on it.) What direction is it accelerating? What's the net vertical force on it?

Draw a force diagram for the man, showing all forces acting on him. See what you can conclude.

10. Nov 7, 2009 #9
    sorry again, as i said my eng is very bad. i dont understand you want the diagram to better understand my question?, or you saying drawing a diagram helps me to solve my problem?

11. Nov 7, 2009 #10

Doc Al

That's what I'm saying. For you to solve the problem, you need to draw a diagram (or two). Whenever you are dealing with forces, it's usually a good idea to draw yourself a diagram.

(I believe I understand the problem very clearly. You want to know how the scale reading will change if he starts swinging that mass in a horizontal circle. :smile:)

12. Nov 7, 2009 #11
    i think when swinging the rope we have to give more pressure to arm then just holding the hope. and nothing is just raises something must be down to raise other thing. they teached us that. when im spending more energy the things force on the groun must be down. so, it will be 80>total weight>85 right?

13. Nov 7, 2009 #12

Doc Al

No, not right. You need to examine the forces acting on the mass. For example, say the swinging rope makes an angle of 45 degrees with the vertical (or you can just call the angle θ). Draw a diagram of the forces acting on the mass. Is the mass accelerating? What's the net vertical force on the mass?

14. Nov 7, 2009 #13
    i think about it and drawing a diagram really helped me and i found that the thing doesn't have a vertical force that effects on arm. only horizental force. so it will be 80. am i right?

Last edited: Nov 7, 2009
  15. Nov 8, 2009 #14

Doc Al

No. The man exerts a force on the rope that has both horizontal and vertical components. After all, the swinging mass has no vertical acceleration, thus something must be holding it up!

16. Nov 8, 2009 #15
    ok. but how can the rope has vertical force on the man? its horizontal.

.......... ____O........
    .......o /................
    ...../.|............<---- like this
    .../...|............
    ......./.\........

17. Nov 8, 2009 #16

Doc Al

Ah, but it cannot be perfectly horizontal. It must be angled downward, since it has to support the weight of the mass. The faster you swing the mass, the more horizontal the rope becomes, but it never is completely horizontal.

18. Nov 8, 2009 #17
    yes. i understand but when i say its be 80>x>85 you said its wrong?

19. Nov 8, 2009 #18

Doc Al

Yes, that's an incorrect answer.

20. Nov 8, 2009 #19
    but it cant be stay same right?

21. Nov 8, 2009 #20

Doc Al

What vertical force does the man exert on the rope?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook