Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A question about Self Study

1. Sep 25, 2010 #1
    Can Someone learn all mathematics required for undergraduate physics from only one textbook (mathematical methods in physics texts ) prior to knowing anything in physics especially if he want to self study ? What are the advantages and disadvantages of this method? If I have superficial knowledge in calculus , Can I only read it in a mathematical methods textbook ( I have Riley , Hobson and Bence book which include a chapter on elementary calculus )? Or should I read a calculus book at the level of Stewart book for example ?

Last edited: Sep 25, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2010 #2

fss

All of undergraduate physics? No. Well... maybe if it was a really big book.

4. Sep 27, 2010 #3
    Probably not one book, but you can follow the standard curriculum set in a uni:

First would be a calculus book, like Stewart's.

Second maybe Boas' Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences. I think the second edition you can get super cheap.

Anything you don't understand in Boas you can get clarification in a Diff EQ, Calc, or a Linear Algebra book.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook