1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A question about Self Study

1. Sep 25, 2010 #1
    Can Someone learn all mathematics required for undergraduate physics from only one textbook (mathematical methods in physics texts ) prior to knowing anything in physics especially if he want to self study ? What are the advantages and disadvantages of this method? If I have superficial knowledge in calculus , Can I only read it in a mathematical methods textbook ( I have Riley , Hobson and Bence book which include a chapter on elementary calculus )? Or should I read a calculus book at the level of Stewart book for example ?
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2010 #2

All of undergraduate physics? No. Well... maybe if it was a really big book.
  4. Sep 27, 2010 #3
    Probably not one book, but you can follow the standard curriculum set in a uni:

First would be a calculus book, like Stewart's.

Second maybe Boas' Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences. I think the second edition you can get super cheap.

Anything you don't understand in Boas you can get clarification in a Diff EQ, Calc, or a Linear Algebra book.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook