Understanding the Principle of a Steel Bar Sensor: Explained by Experts

• Thread starter pixel01
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sensor
In summary, the conversation is about a sensor that monitors the movement of a steel bar. The sensor has a green moving part and a gray stationary part. The principle of the sensor is not clear, as it is not visible if it uses a small LED or magnetism. It is later clarified that the green part is made of plastic and is attached to the steel bar. It is speculated that the sensor is an optical switch using an infrared LED and photodiode inside the gray plastic. This information is confirmed by the speaker, who states that the sensor is a photomicrosensor.
pixel01
Hi all,

I have this sensor which monitors the moving of a steel bar (see attached pic). The green part is moving backward and forward (the arrows), the gray is stationary.
What I would like to know is the principle of this sensor. At first I thought it uses a small led in the gray one and the green passing through will gives signal. But I can not see the led. It may be based on magnetism, but the two are made of plastics... and I am puzzled.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks.

Attachments

• sensor_01.JPG
    sensor_01.JPG
    7.4 KB · Views: 381
Engineering news on Phys.org
Clarify something for me, please. You said initially that the thing measures the movement of a steel bar, then later that the parts are made of plastic. Do I take it, then, that the green bit is a plastic part that's attached to the steel?

Danger said:
Clarify something for me, please. You said initially that the thing measures the movement of a steel bar, then later that the parts are made of plastic. Do I take it, then, that the green bit is a plastic part that's attached to the steel?

Yes, the green part is screwed to the steel bar that is moving.

It probably is an optical switch but uses an infrared led.
The LED and photdiode will be inside the grey plastic. Thin plastic is fairly transparent to near IR and it will keep the optical parts clean.

mgb_phys said:
It probably is an optical switch but uses an infrared led.
The LED and photdiode will be inside the grey plastic. Thin plastic is fairly transparent to near IR and it will keep the optical parts clean.

Thank you. I have checked and it's a photomicrosensor.

1. What is a sensor?

A sensor is a device that detects and measures physical quantities such as temperature, light, pressure, or motion and converts them into electrical signals that can be read and analyzed by a computer or other device.

2. How do sensors work?

Sensors work by using a specific mechanism to convert a physical stimulus, such as light or temperature, into an electrical signal. This signal can then be processed and analyzed to provide information about the physical environment or object being measured.

3. What are some common types of sensors?

Some common types of sensors include temperature sensors, light sensors, pressure sensors, motion sensors, and proximity sensors. There are also many other specialized sensors used in various industries and applications.

4. What are the applications of sensors?

Sensors have a wide range of applications, from simple tasks such as turning on a light when it gets dark, to more complex tasks such as monitoring and controlling industrial processes. They are also used in healthcare, transportation, and environmental monitoring, among others.

5. How are sensors important in scientific research?

Sensors play a crucial role in scientific research by providing accurate and precise measurements of various physical phenomena. They are used in fields such as biology, chemistry, physics, and environmental science to collect data, monitor experiments, and analyze results.