1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A question about statistics

1. Dec 15, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let X= [tex]\begin{bmatrix} X_1 \\X_2 \end{bmatrix}[/tex] be bivariate normal [tex]N(\begin{pmatrix} \theta \\ \theta \end{pmatrix}, \begin{pmatrix} 1 & u \\ u & \sigma^2 \end{pmatrix})[/tex]. Let [tex]T=aX_1 + (1-a)X_2[/tex].

a) Write u in terms of [tex]\rho[/tex] = the correlation coefficient, and [tex]\sigma[/tex]

b) Find the distribution of t

c) Find the value of a that minimized the variance of T.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

a) [tex]\rho = u/\sigma[/tex] so [tex] u = \rho\sigma[/tex]

b) T is also normal...

If we write [tex]T = aX_1 + (a-1)X_2 = \begin{bmatrix} a & a-1\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix} X_1 \\ X_2 \end{bmatrix} [/tex]

Let A=[tex]\begin{bmatrix} a & a-1\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

Then E(T)=AE(X)

Var(T) = A*covariance matrix*A'

So the distribution of T is N(E(T), Var(T))

Do you think this is correct?

c) I'm stuck here...

Thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 15, 2012 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You need to be careful: you need 1-a, not a-1.

Anyway, you know the mean of T and can get the variance using standard formulas, so you know the distribution of T without further work. You are doing it the hard way, and I do not understand what you are trying to do.

4. Dec 15, 2012 #3
    Thanks for pointing out that mistake...

The reason why I'm trying to find E(T) and Var(T) is so that I can write it as N(E(T), Var(T)). I know that it's normal but I'm trying to find the mean and the variance so I can write it in this form. I'm not sure if the professor wants this so I'm just doing it...just in case.

But is it ok if you give me a hint for part c?

5. Dec 15, 2012 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You cannot minimize Var(T) until you have a formula for Var(T). As I said, just use standard results to get it.

6. Dec 16, 2012 #5
    After I computed Var(T) from Var(T) = A*covariance matrix*A', I set the derivative (with respect to a) to zero and solved for a...do you think that's correct?

7. Dec 16, 2012 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How do you usually find maxima or minima of functions?

8. Dec 16, 2012 #7
    I set the derivative equal to zero and then I check if those points are maximum or minimum...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook