A question about the Alps

1. in the sources I read the they are in the central europe or sometimes south central. But on the other hand Germany is one of the Alpine countries but I know that it is in west or north west of the Europe continent so is something incorrect?

2. jcsd
    Earth sciences news on Phys.org
  3. SteamKing

SteamKing 8,597
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The German Alps are in the southern portion of that country. Germany is a pretty big country; not as big as France or Spain, but not as small as Austria or Switzerland.

Reading only verbal descriptions of place locations is tricky sometimes. It's always better to have a map of the region handy for reference.

http://www.map-of-europe.us/relief-map.htm

1 person likes this.
  4. Then can we say that southern portion of Germany is in lies on the south-center of Europe according to those definitions and yours.

5. SteamKing

SteamKing 8,597
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

These descriptions lack specificity; I wouldn't get too hung up on whether they are 'correct' or 'incorrect' as long as you know where the Alps are. If the article had said that Germany was right next door to say, Turkey, then you have a better case for a geographic description being flat-out wrong.

6. It's probably worth remembering that a lot of definitions of what's "Central" Europe were created before what's now considered "Eastern" Europe was even Europe...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?

Draft saved Draft deleted