1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Question about the Atom

1. Oct 22, 2004 #1
    Can someone please give me a nudge in the right direction on how to solve this problem? The electric field intensity at a distance r from the center of a uniformly charged sphere of radius R and total charge Q is Qr/4πεR^3, when r < R. Such a sphere corresponds to the Thomson model of the atom. Show that an electron in this sphere executes simple harmonic motion about its center and derive a formula for the frequency of motion. Evaluate the frequency of the electron oscillations for the case of the hydrogen atom and compare it with the frequencies of the spectral lines of hydrogen. How do i even start?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2004 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You start with "F= ma". F, the force on an electron with charge e, is -Qer/(4πεR^3) so ma= m (d2r/dt2= -(Qe/(4πεR3)) Can you solve that differential equation? (Note that Qe/(4πεR3[/sup) is a constant.)

4. Oct 22, 2004 #3

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I think you may have missed a factor of "r" in your differential equation. This is the crucial piece that makes it have a sinusoidal solution.

Zz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?