A question about the existance of a thread

• Thread starter Jimmy Snyder
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thread
In summary, while there is no specific thread discussing this idea, it is an idea that has been proposed and is not universally accepted by physicists. There are various experiments that have been done that show that the speed of light in various media can be quite slow, and it is something that is being studied by many people.
Jimmy Snyder
I know that my question is going to be misunderstood, but I am hoping that someone will read it for what it is and answer it directly:

Is there a thread in this forum that discusses the idea that the speed of light may be slowing down. If yes, can you direct me to that thread?

Physics news on Phys.org
My understanding is that there are suggestions that the speed of light may have been different in the past. This is not necessarily evidence that the speed of light is changing today though, and it is possible that the speed of light when measured in the past would have been precisely the speed of light as we measure it today anyway, even if today we see "the speed of light in the past" as being different.

(Basically that would be saying that no matter where or when you are, the speed of light is c.)

It's easy to conceptualize a varying speed of light. What makes the idea unattractive to physicists is that you have to abandon a very high symmetry principle called "the principle of relativity."

jimmysnyder,

Try looking for Joao Magueijo and John Moffat and VSL theory. It's apparently not part of the lunatic fringe per se, but equally it is not widely accepted either (consider the use of the words "controversial" and "dubious" by mainstream physicists to describe it).

Wikipedia has an article on it, but note that oddly enough one of the links at the bottom of that article is to "Creationists Interests". Is varying speed of light theory an attempt to reconcile the age of the universe to extremist Christian doctrine, is it being hijacked by such interests or had the author of the wikipedia article just noticed that creation scientists were taking an interest?

I don't know the answer, but I suggest care when reading articles in this area.

None of you all answered the original poster's question directly! :biggrin:

To the OP: Did you try the "Search" function listed in the navigation bar at the top of this page?

I tried "speed light slowing" but I got too many hits and none of the ones I looked at seemed to be on the topic. Unfortunately for this search, there have been experiments in which the speed of light in various media are quite slow and this topic has been visited a lot on these threads.

jimmysnyder said:
I tried "speed light slowing" but I got too many hits and none of the ones I looked at seemed to be on the topic.

Unfortunately, this site's search function doesn't seem to support searching on an exact phrase. However, Google does support exact-phrase searches, it indexes this site, and you can restrict searches to this site only. Try a Google search on the following:

"variable speed of light" site:www.physicsforums.com

The quotes tell Google that you want an exact match for that phrase. Also try some other similar phrases.

1. What is a thread in the context of existence?

A thread is a concept that refers to the existence of a specific idea, thought, or object. It can also be used to describe a connection or relationship between different elements.

2. How do scientists study the existence of a thread?

Scientists use various methods such as observation, experimentation, and data analysis to study the existence of a thread. They may also use mathematical models or theories to understand the underlying principles of a thread's existence.

3. Is the existence of a thread a subjective or objective concept?

The answer to this question is not clear cut, as it can be both subjective and objective. The existence of a thread can be subjective in the sense that it may be influenced by personal beliefs or perceptions. However, it can also be studied objectively through scientific methods and evidence.

4. Can a thread cease to exist?

Yes, a thread can cease to exist. This can happen through various means such as physical destruction, obsolescence, or the changing of beliefs or ideas. However, the concept of a thread may still exist in the memories or writings of individuals.

5. What are the implications of the existence of a thread?

The existence of a thread can have various implications depending on the context. It can affect our understanding of the world, our relationships with others, and our own sense of self. It can also have practical implications in fields such as technology, philosophy, and psychology.