Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A question about the LHC

Tags:
  1. Aug 28, 2012 #1
    Dear readers
    for start thank you for your patience in readind this letter
    i was readind a book about higgs and in chapter 8 the author discribed this following event :
    as CERN was making its plans for the LHC public was worried for the security of the LHC
    One peoples fear was from the experiments a unusual particle could be <<created>> and it could reach the centre of the Earth cayzing the tempreture to <<heat up >>... The author said that this fact would make earth have the size of a football . my question is why ?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2012 #2

Ryan_m_b

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the forums. The concern was surrounding the creation of micro black holes, CERN's website has a section on safety considerations that you may be interested in reading. A relevant point from that page:

4. Aug 28, 2012 #3
    hi thank you for answering but that isnt what i was looking for ...
    i gave the higgs and LHC example just so i can explain my question
    my general question is why if an object (or planet) is heated up into very high tempreture its size decreases so much .. Or in my example why if earth becomes so hot it will have the size of a football ....:rolleyes:

5. Aug 28, 2012 #4

Ryan_m_b

The most obvious answer is that when things are compressed to a smaller size the temperature increases. A micro black hole would absorb matter and grow as it does so shrinking the Earth into a small hot accretion disk. Alternatively you could have been reading about strangelets which may operate in a similar manner.

6. Aug 28, 2012 #5
    :confused:
    Yeah but your answer is if the obgect is decreased ...
    my question is why in high tempretures object decrease their size ? ..
    thank you

7. Aug 28, 2012 #6

Ryan_m_b

They don't, I think your confusion stems from a misunderstanding in what you read originally. It's not:

The increase in temperature that leads to the size decrease

it is

The size decrease that leads to the increase in temperature

Does that make sense?

8. Aug 28, 2012 #7
    yes ...
    thank you very much and sorry for my confusion ..

9. Aug 28, 2012 #8

Ryan_m_b

No worries :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook