1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A question about the minimum/maximum of a convex function

1. Nov 8, 2005 #1
    I would like to be sure in the following, not prove it, just have it confirmed...
    If a function f is convex, then it has

1.) only one maximum and no minimum
    2.) only one minimum and no maximum

infinity and -infinity are not included.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2005 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It's not clear what you are asking. Since you say you want something "confirmed" it would appear you are making a statement: that either one of those two statements can be true for a convex function. That's not correct.

A convex function is a function f, such that the set {(x,y)| y> f(x) } is convex. Given that, on (2) is true.
    (1) is true for a concave function.

4. Nov 8, 2005 #3
    Oh, ok, I didnt make a clear distinction between a convex and a concave function.

I didnt have a clear definition of convex and concave, so it makes more sense now, given your definition, and concave is then the opposite, and so makes (1) true.

thanks!

5. Nov 8, 2005 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

In particular, y= x2 is a convex function (the set of point above its graph is convex) and y= -x2 is a concave function (the set of points above its graph is concave).

6. Nov 13, 2005 #5
    Convex...I knew it's concave up or concave down. Well, imagine the graph of y=x^2 or y=-x^2 depending on what you're talking about. It's a simple visualisation any Algebra 2 student can do...

bah...the guy above me wrote this exact thing.

However, I wonder, is there such a thing as Convex?

7. Nov 13, 2005 #6

benorin

Homework Helper

yes. In terms of functions: convex = concave up & concave = concave down.

I'm guessing that the whole up/down stuff is from a Calculus text by Stewart.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?