Relativistic Energy Dispersion Relation: Explained

In summary, the relativistic energy dispersion relation ##E^{2}=m^{2}c^{4}+p^{2}c^{2}## gives the energy of a free particle, defined as a particle not subject to any external forces. This is derived from the relativistic 3-momentum of a particle, ##\mathbf{p}=\gamma m\mathbf{v}##, and the line element, ##-c^{2}\mathrm{d}\tau^{2}=-c^{2}\mathrm{d}t^{2}+\mathrm{d}\mathbf{x}^{2}##. The equation does not include any potential energy terms and is purely kinematic. However, if one explicitly
Parcival
I'm in the process of learning special relativity (SR), and I'm a bit confused as to why the relativistic energy dispersion relation ##E^{2}=m^{2}c^{4}+p^{2}c^{2}## gives the energy for a free particle? I get that it is the sum of (relativistic) kinetic energy plus the rest mass term (a constant), but where in the derivation of this expression does one assume that the particle is free?

From what I've read, one way that one can deduce that ##E^{2}=m^{2}c^{4}+p^{2}c^{2}## is from the relativistic 3-momentum of a particle, ##\mathbf{p}=\gamma m\mathbf{v}## (where ##\gamma## is the Lorentz factor, ##m## the rest mass of the particle, and ##\mathbf{v}=\frac{\mathrm{d}\mathbf{x}}{\mathrm{d}t}##, with ##t## the coordinate time), and the line element, ##-c^{2}\mathrm{d}\tau^{2}=-c^{2}\mathrm{d}t^{2}+\mathrm{d}\mathbf{x}^{2}## (where ##\tau## is the proper time). Indeed, from the latter, we can imply that ##(mc)^{2}=(\gamma mc)^{2}-p^{2}##. Taylor expanding ##(\gamma mc)^{2}##, we have $$(\gamma mc)^{2}=\frac{1}{c^{2}}\left(mc^{2}+\frac{1}{2}mv^{2}+\cdots\right)^{2}$$ where the dots denote higher order terms in ##v/c##. Recognising ##\frac{1}{2}mv^{2}## as the non-relativistic kinetic energy of a particle, we identify the expression in brackets with the energy of the particle, such that $$\frac{E^{2}}{c^{2}}=m^{2}c^{2}+p^{2}$$ I realize that one can also arrive at this expression, by noting that ##\gamma mc## is the zeroth element of the 4-momentum vector. The thing is, in neither of these ways does one assume that the particle is free, so is the fact that it describes the energy of a free particle something that is determined a posteriori?

Likes Sid
Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by a free particle in this context?

##E## in your equations is defined to be ##\gamma mc^2##, which is generally seen as the particle's rest energy, ##mc^2##, plus its kinetic energy, ##(\gamma - 1)mc^2##. This equation is purely kinematic: it says nothing, in particular, about how the particle came to be moving at speed ##v## in a particular reference frame.

PeroK said:
What do you mean by a free particle in this context?

I mean, not subject to any external forces.

PeroK said:
EE in your equations is defined to be γmc2\gamma mc^2, which is generally seen as the particle's rest energy, mc2mc^2, plus its kinetic energy, (γ−1)mc2(\gamma - 1)mc^2. This equation is purely kinematic: it says nothing, in particular, about how the particle came to be moving at speed vv in a particular reference frame.

This was my understanding, however, I have read several notes (of which I can't find of hand, but I'm currently looking for an example) in which they refer to this expression for ##E## as giving the energy of a free particle, leaving me confused.

Parcival said:
I mean, not subject to any external forces.

This was my understanding, however, I have read several notes (of which I can't find of hand, but I'm currently looking for an example) in which they refer to this expression for ##E## as giving the energy of a free particle, leaving me confused.

There's no implication that the particle is not subject to external forces. Particles in a particle accelerator, an accelerating spaceship etc. are all covered.

It, obviously, doesn't include any potential energy. How could it?

In that sense, it is the total energy for a free particle. But that seems an odd way to look at it, unless you have been explicitly considering motion under a potential.

PeroK said:
There's no implication that the particle is not subject to external forces. Particles in a particle accelerator, an accelerating spaceship etc. are all covered.

That's what I thought. It comes from purely kinematical considerations, without any mention of a potential.

PeroK said:
In that sense, it is the total energy for a free particle. But that seems an odd way to look at it, unless you have been explicitly considering motion under a potential.

I guess maybe the author is just observing the fact that the energy only contains kinetic energy plus a constant term, and thus can be interpreted as the energy of a free particle (however, this would implicitly assume that the kinetic energy is constant)? If one explicitly considers the dynamics, in which the particle is subject to a potential, then the expression for energy would include an additional potential energy term, right?!

Parcival said:
That's what I thought. It comes from purely kinematical considerations, without any mention of a potential.
I guess maybe the author is just observing the fact that the energy only contains kinetic energy plus a constant term, and thus can be interpreted as the energy of a free particle (however, this would implicitly assume that the kinetic energy is constant)? If one explicitly considers the dynamics, in which the particle is subject to a potential, then the expression for energy would include an additional potential energy term, right?!

Take a look here, for example:

http://www.reed.edu/physics/courses/Physics411/html/page2/files/Lecture.11.pdf

I think you have to differentiate between cases where you are interested in the external forces and those where you are not. You will get questions talking about the "maximum" energy achieved in a particle accelerator. In which case you don't care about any additional potential energy, as it doesn't contribute to the energy available in a particle collision.

Likewise, if you look at the relativistic rocket equation, your rocket is not in a potential but it is subject to an external force.

In terms of what is and is not a "free particle", I think you have to pay attention to the context.

Likes vanhees71
PeroK said:
Take a look here, for example:

http://www.reed.edu/physics/courses/Physics411/html/page2/files/Lecture.11.pdf

I think you have to differentiate between cases where you are interested in the external forces and those where you are not. You will get questions talking about the "maximum" energy achieved in a particle accelerator. In which case you don't care about any additional potential energy, as it doesn't contribute to the energy available in a particle collision.

Likewise, if you look at the relativistic rocket equation, your rocket is not in a potential but it is subject to an external force.

In terms of what is and is not a "free particle", I think you have to pay attention to the context.

Thanks for the details.

Should one view ##E^{2}=m^{2}c^{4}+p^{2}c^{2}## then, as describing the energy of a particle without regard of any potential that may be present?

PeroK said:
In which case you don't care about any additional potential energy, as it doesn't contribute to the energy available in a particle collision.

Why is this? Is it because a particle collision occurs at a point, and since only potential energy differences are physical (at least in SR), there is no potential energy available in the collision.

Parcival said:
Thanks for the details.

Should one view ##E^{2}=m^{2}c^{4}+p^{2}c^{2}## then, as describing the energy of a particle without regard of any potential that may be present?

That's probably a good way to put it.

Parcival said:
Thanks for the details.

Why is this? Is it because a particle collision occurs at a point, and since only potential energy differences are physical (at least in SR), there is no potential energy available in the collision.

Basically, that equation is one of the basics for particle collisions and particle decay, which are instantaneous.

Are you learning SR on your own?

PeroK said:
Basically, that equation is one of the basics for particle collisions and particle decay, which are instantaneous.

Ah ok.

PeroK said:
Are you learning SR on your own?

Yes, I am. Trying to be as rigorous as I can.

Parcival said:
Yes, I am. Trying to be as rigorous as I can.

Good luck!

PeroK said:
Good luck!

Thanks. And thanks for your help here.

1. What is the Relativistic Energy Dispersion Relation?

The Relativistic Energy Dispersion Relation is an equation that describes the relationship between energy and momentum in a relativistic system, where objects are moving at speeds close to the speed of light. It was first proposed by Albert Einstein in his theory of special relativity.

2. How is the Relativistic Energy Dispersion Relation different from the classical energy-momentum equation?

The classical energy-momentum equation, E = p^2/2m, only applies to objects moving at low speeds, while the Relativistic Energy Dispersion Relation, E^2 = (pc)^2 + (mc^2)^2, takes into account the effects of special relativity at high speeds. This means that as an object approaches the speed of light, its energy and momentum become increasingly dependent on each other.

3. What does the Relativistic Energy Dispersion Relation tell us about the behavior of particles at high speeds?

The Relativistic Energy Dispersion Relation shows that as an object's speed approaches the speed of light, its energy and momentum increase without bound. This means that it would take an infinite amount of energy to accelerate an object to the speed of light, and it is impossible for any object with mass to reach this speed.

4. How is the Relativistic Energy Dispersion Relation used in particle physics?

In particle physics, the Relativistic Energy Dispersion Relation is used to calculate the energy and momentum of particles, particularly in high-energy collisions. By measuring the energy and momentum of particles before and after a collision, physicists can use the equation to determine the properties of these particles and the interactions that took place.

5. Are there any real-life applications of the Relativistic Energy Dispersion Relation?

Yes, the Relativistic Energy Dispersion Relation has several real-life applications. It is used in the design of particle accelerators and the development of new technologies, such as particle therapy for cancer treatment. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of cosmic rays and high-energy particles in space.