How are higher voltages achieved in car ignition systems?

In summary, in order to achieve higher voltages needed for starting a spark in a car ignition system, a transformer with a winding ratio of 1:100 is used with a 12V battery. However, this only works for AC sinewaves and the high voltage output is actually determined by the interruption of DC current, resulting in a greater voltage pulse to the spark plug.
Noirro

Homework Statement

Hey there! I have simple problem:
To start a spark in a car ignition system, voltages of 5-17kV are required. A transformer with winding ratio 1:100 is used with a 12V battery, so we get a 1200V voltage. How are higher voltages achieved in such systems?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Noirro said:

Homework Statement

Hey there! I have simple problem:
To start a spark in a car ignition system, voltages of 5-17kV are required. A transformer with winding ratio 1:100 is used with a 12V battery, so we get a 1200V voltage. How are higher voltages achieved in such systems?
Thanks
The transformer turns ratio gives the voltage ratio only for sinewaves, i.e., AC of appropriate frequency. The coil in a car is designed to operate differently. It is supplied with interrupted DC and the high voltage output is defined by the more general induction characteristic

[itex]voltage = k. di/dt [/itex]

The faster the points interrupt the primary current, the greater is di/dt, hence a greater voltage pulse goes to the spark plug.

http://imageshack.us/scaled/landing/109/holly1756.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are transformers and how do they work?

A transformer is an electrical device that is used to transfer energy between two or more circuits through the principle of electromagnetic induction. It works by changing the voltage and current of an alternating current (AC) electrical supply.

2. What are the different types of transformers?

There are two main types of transformers: step-up transformers, which increase the voltage from the primary to the secondary circuit, and step-down transformers, which decrease the voltage. Other types include autotransformers, isolation transformers, and variable transformers.

3. What are the components of a transformer?

The main components of a transformer are the primary and secondary windings, which are typically made of copper wire, and the core, which is made of laminated steel. Other components may include cooling systems, insulation, and protective devices.

4. What are some applications of transformers?

Transformers are used in a variety of applications, including power distribution, voltage regulation, and electrical isolation. They are also commonly used in electronic devices such as computers, televisions, and audio equipment.

5. How do I choose the right transformer for my needs?

The right transformer for your needs will depend on factors such as the voltage and current requirements of your circuit, the type of load being supplied, and the size and efficiency of the transformer. It is important to consult with a qualified engineer or electrician to determine the best transformer for your specific application.