Understanding VCEsat: The Impact of Resistance on BJT at Different Currents

• Thread starter Genji Shimada
  • Start date
In summary, at higher currents, there is a bigger voltage drop between the emitter and collector due to the resistance between the emitter and the collector. This is due to the fact that at higher currents the transistor is pushed deeper into saturation, and so has a greater bulk resistance.
Genji Shimada
Hi! The VCEsat which occurs between the emitter and the collector of a saturated bjt is duo to the inevitable loss of energy caused by the resistance between the emitter and the collector, right?
If so, why this voltage drop is bigger at higher currents and lower at smaller ones? For example at Ib to Ic ratio of 1 to 10, at Ic=250mA Vcesat=,2V. But at the same base to collector current ratio, at Ic=500mA Vcesat=1V.
Also I always wanted to ask someone, as an engineer, how deep do you need to go with physical explanations?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Are you talking about the same transistor at different currents, or two different transistors?Different transistors can have different characteristics.

But if the same transistor, note that you have doubled the base current, so couldn't that push the transistor further into saturation? Also, doubling the base current would probably push the curve a bit, and the exact 1:10 ratio would have moved slightly, so I'm not sure your description is completely accurate.

I should add - I'm not sure that Vce is totally a product of bulk resistance, some of the physics of electrons, holes, band-gaps, etc probably play into it, but that is beyond me, or I've forgotten it if I ever did know.

Likes Genji Shimada
NTL2009 said:
Are you talking about the same transistor at different currents, or two different transistors?Different transistors can have different characteristics.

But if the same transistor, note that you have doubled the base current, so couldn't that push the transistor further into saturation? Also, doubling the base current would probably push the curve a bit, and the exact 1:10 ratio would have moved slightly, so I'm not sure your description is completely accurate.

I should add - I'm not sure that Vce is totally a product of bulk resistance, some of the physics of electrons, holes, band-gaps, etc probably play into it, but that is beyond me, or I've forgotten it if I ever did know.
Nope, its the same transistor. Some transistors in their datasheet have values of Vcesat for several different currents. And to ensure the transistor is saturated, the base current is 1 10th of the collector one. And for example at 250mA Ic you got 0,2V Vcesat, but for Ic=500mA Vcesat = 0,7V(These values arent 100% sure since I may have forgotten them). Oh and so, if there are some other quantum-like reasons for Vcesat you don't necessarily need to know about them, right?

Vce(sat) is a voltage difference between Vbe - Vbc. And in saturation region both of this junction (b-e and b-c ) conduct the current.
http://ecee.colorado.edu/~bart/book/book/chapter5/ch5_3.htm#5_3_4
And do not forget about "silicon resistance" and "leads" resistance.

Likes Genji Shimada
Genji Shimada said:
Hi! The VCEsat which occurs between the emitter and the collector of a saturated bjt is duo to the inevitable loss of energy caused by the resistance between the emitter and the collector, right?
If so, why this voltage drop is bigger at higher currents and lower at smaller ones

If it was due to resistance why are you surprised?

V= I*R

Likes Genji Shimada
CWatters said:
If it was due to resistance why are you surprised?

V= I*R
Yep, you're right. I don't know why I struggled about it so much. Since the silicon itself has some resistance you can never get away with 0V drop across CE. And so you got around 0,2V Vcesat. If the ratio between Ic and Ib is still 1/10, if the currents are bigger, duo to Ohms law Vcesat will increase. But if you increase the base current even more, you turn on the transistor more and reduce it's depletion layer even further, decreasing the resistance and Vcesat will be less.
Thanks!

Thank you guys for the replies

1. What is VCEsat?

VCEsat stands for "Collector-Emitter saturation voltage" and is a term used in electronics and semiconductor physics to describe the voltage drop across the collector and emitter of a transistor when it is fully saturated.

2. How is VCEsat measured?

VCEsat is measured by applying a specific voltage across the collector and emitter of a transistor and measuring the resulting voltage drop. This is typically done using a multimeter or other measuring device.

3. What factors affect VCEsat?

The main factors that affect VCEsat include the type of transistor, its operating temperature, and its current level. Different types of transistors have different VCEsat values, and as temperature increases, VCEsat tends to decrease. Additionally, higher current levels can also result in a lower VCEsat.

4. Why is VCEsat important?

VCEsat is an important parameter to consider in circuit design as it affects the overall performance and efficiency of a transistor. It can also impact the reliability and lifespan of a transistor, as a higher VCEsat can result in increased power dissipation and potential thermal damage.

5. How can VCEsat be reduced?

VCEsat can be reduced by selecting transistors with lower VCEsat values, operating at lower temperatures, and using current limiting techniques to minimize the current passing through the transistor. Additionally, proper circuit design and layout can also help reduce VCEsat.