Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A question about wave interference.

1. Mar 5, 2005 #1
    Hello All!
    My question is about the interference if the waves.

For example, I have SEVERAL solutions of the wave equation in some area (several eigenvalues and corresponding eigenfunctions). I want to see if the would be an interference between these solutions.

What should I do?

I see the 2 ways:

1) use analytic sum of this functions.
    by this I mean to calculate the interference of the two plain waves of different amlitudes and wavelength. How can I do this?

2) sum directly two my solutions.
    BUT a question arises: can I suppose that the difference in phase between my two solutions of the wave equation is what I need?
    Can I state that the phase difference between the 2 eigenmodes of the equation is the real phase difference between these two field distributions?
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2005 #2
    Seems to me you have to add all your solutions to get the unique, general solution. Adding them inherently means they interfere. Not sure I see any difference between your 1) and 2). The phase should be determined by boundary conditions.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?