1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A question about wave interference.

1. Mar 5, 2005 #1
    Hello All!
    My question is about the interference if the waves.

For example, I have SEVERAL solutions of the wave equation in some area (several eigenvalues and corresponding eigenfunctions). I want to see if the would be an interference between these solutions.

What should I do?

I see the 2 ways:

1) use analytic sum of this functions.
    by this I mean to calculate the interference of the two plain waves of different amlitudes and wavelength. How can I do this?

2) sum directly two my solutions.
    BUT a question arises: can I suppose that the difference in phase between my two solutions of the wave equation is what I need?
    Can I state that the phase difference between the 2 eigenmodes of the equation is the real phase difference between these two field distributions?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2005 #2
    Seems to me you have to add all your solutions to get the unique, general solution. Adding them inherently means they interfere. Not sure I see any difference between your 1) and 2). The phase should be determined by boundary conditions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook