1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A question about wavefunction

1. Oct 5, 2005 #1
    Here's a derivation of wavefunction of State Ψ in representations of coordinates and momentum
    Ψ (x)=<x|Ψ >=<x|∫dp|p><p|Ψ >=∫dp<x|p><p|Ψ>=∫dp exp{ipx/h}Ψ(p)
    Ψ (p)=<p|Ψ >=∫dx exp{-ipx/h}Ψ(x)

Ψ (x)=<x|Ψ >=<x|∫dp|p><p|Ψ >=∫dp<x|p><p|Ψ>=∫dp exp{ipx/h}Ψ(p)
    i don't understand how ∫dp<x|p><p|Ψ> become ∫dp exp{ipx/h}Ψ(p)
    Could you please tell me the drivation of this formula?

and another question is why Ψ (x) could be denoted as <x|Ψ >?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2005 #2
    I probably won't be able to help, but I'm sure that if I'm struggling to make sense of that, then other people are too. Some things just can't be written without proper equations. Maybe try writing the equation on Microsoft word's equation tool and attach the document.
  4. Oct 12, 2005 #3
    It seems to me that you are asking why
    but surely you must have this derivation in your notes? BTW, the above equation isn't actually quite right (needs a factor in order to normalize it) and, in my notes anyway, the 'h' is actually an 'h-bar'.

As regards your other question, I can only assume that it is very sloppy notation because I have never seen a state use the same symbol as the wave function (although I am still an undergraduate so my experience is rather limited).
  5. Oct 13, 2005 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

[itex]\psi(x) = \langle x | \psi \rangle[/itex] by definition. It is the component of |x> in the expansion of [itex]| \psi \rangle[/itex] in the position basis.

∫dp<x|p><p|Ψ> = ∫dp exp{ipx/h}Ψ(p), because [itex]\langle x|p \rangle =\exp{ipx/\hbar}[/itex] (apart from a constant factor) and <p|Ψ>=Ψ(p), again by definition.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?