1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A question before going to sleep

1. Feb 19, 2012 #1
    Last night I couldn't sleep and started to think about a few things I thought that I had read in New Scientist last year. When I got up I took all my dads New Scientists and quickly sifted through them and I didn't find what I was looking for. I thought I had read about that if you try to predict the strength of a gravitational field of a large object using quantum mechanical models you get answers that are total rubbish (I can't remember the exact example, I think it was something like that the earth would be a lot less dense or that it wouldn't even be held together by it's gravitational force). Is that true? Are these models totally useless for large scale predictions? Can anyone tell me (or just post a link or a name of a book) of how they calculate these things (what models are used). My understanding of maths and physics is surely far from enough to understand those models, but maybe some day I will get there.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted