What is the speed of the ball after bouncing off an elastic surface?

• Thread starter emc2_akshay
  • Start date
In summary, the question is about the speed of a ball after it bounces off an approaching truck. To solve this, we must assume that the truck's mass is much greater than the ball's and that the collision is viewed from the truck's point of view. From there, we can use the concept of an elastic collision and the truck's frame of reference to determine the speed of the ball.
emc2_akshay
Excuse me, but will anyone of u be kind enough to help me with this quetion----
Q.==== A truck is moving towards you with a velocity v. You throw a ball at it with velocity x, which bounces of elastically after hittin hthe truck. What is the speed of the ball now?:yuck:

Physics news on Phys.org
Since no masses are given, this is a conceptiual, not mathematical question. The answer is very simple if you understand a few concepts.

First there is an assumption: the mass of the truck is so much greater than the mass of the ball that the speed of the truck effectively does not change during the collision. So, that means you can "observe" this collision from the point of view of the truck (it's an "inertial reference frame). The elastic collision form the truck's POV, is just like the ball bouncing (perfectly elastically) off a stationary wall.

What is the incoming speed of the ball as seen by the truck? What is the outgoing speed of the ball as seen by the truck? Add to that last speed, the speed of the truck's frame of reference.

No, I really do not know to play such note :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

1. What is "A question for all of u" about?

"A question for all of u" is a phrase that is commonly used as the title or description of a discussion or forum topic. It could refer to any type of question or topic that is being posed to a group of people.

2. Who is asking "A question for all of u"?

The identity of the person asking "A question for all of u" can vary. It could be an individual, a group, or even an artificial intelligence. It all depends on the context in which the phrase is used.

3. How is "A question for all of u" different from a regular question?

"A question for all of u" is typically used to address a larger audience or group of people, rather than just one individual. It could also imply that the question being asked is open-ended and meant to spark a discussion or exchange of ideas.

4. Can I participate in "A question for all of u" even if I don't know the answer?

Yes, "A question for all of u" is meant to be an open forum for discussion and exchange of thoughts and ideas. You do not have to know the answer to participate, as long as you are willing to share your perspective or thoughts on the topic at hand.

5. Is there a specific format or structure for "A question for all of u"?

No, "A question for all of u" does not have a set format or structure. It could be a simple question, a thought-provoking statement, or even a call for opinions or experiences. The purpose is to initiate a conversation and encourage participation from a diverse group of individuals.