A question for you all

• Thread starter sarah83
  • Start date
In summary, Socrates, Augustus, and Jesus were all leaders in their respective communities. Socrates was powerful because his philosophy appealed to those who despised anti-meritocracies, making him dangerous as it could lead to rebellion. Jesus was powerful because of his healing abilities and his fulfillment of the Abrahamic covenant, making him dangerous for preaching against the comfortable beliefs of society. Augustus was a successful general and political leader, making him powerful in his community. However, Socrates and Jesus were both executed for challenging the norms of society, while Augustus was accepted as a leader. Ultimately, their legacies continue to have an impact on society and their ideas and beliefs are still studied and debated.
sarah83
consider socrates, augstus, and jesus as leaders in their respective commmunities. What made each of them both powerful and dangerous in their communities?

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by sarah83
consider socrates, augstus, and jesus as leaders in their respective commmunities. What made each of them both powerful and dangerous in their communities?

Socrates wasn't a leader, when he was alive, was he? I suppose there were people who followed his method, and went with him when he was practicing it...in that case: He was powerful because his philosophy appeals to the minds of those who despise the anti-meritocracies, where a person can gain prestige in a given field, without fully comprehending it. He was dangerous because it can lead to rebellion (even anarchy) for people to despise and denounce their political, military, or scientific, leaders.

Jesus could like heal the sick and resurrect the dead, so it's not too hard to see what made him powerful. He was dangerous, in the community that he was in, because he was preaching the conclusion of the Abrahamic covenant, and it's fulfillment in him.

As for Jesus, all I can say is "crazy people make the most sense"

Are these supposed to be separate types of leadership, by wisdom, faith, and military power or something? Two were killed by their societies and the third came to rule his.

The reason both Socrates and Jesus were executed was that the showed the comfortable pieties of the society around them were lies. And the truths they offered were in contradiction to what any comfy commercial society can live with. Augustus was just another successful general and political leader. You always have them and reasonable people know how to get along. But those others, get rid of 'em.

Hi Sarah, I believe I know the answer to your little riddle. You are a very clever person if you personally spotted the link and then posed the question. The answer you are looking for is this;

We assume all three names existed as men within their own communities. We assume all three were powerful because of their legacies. Maybe a better question to ask would be, what is it that exists in time and is produced by man? "Opinion" features as a word in the answer you require. I would complete the answer fully but I am now scaring myself so I will stop.

1. What is the purpose of "A question for you all"?

The purpose of "A question for you all" is to gather information and perspectives from a diverse group of people on a particular topic or issue.

2. How do I participate in "A question for you all"?

To participate in "A question for you all", simply read the question and provide your answer or opinion in the designated forum or platform.

3. Can I ask my own question for "A question for you all"?

Yes, you can submit your own question for "A question for you all" to be considered for future discussions. However, please make sure your question is respectful and appropriate for a diverse audience.

4. Who can participate in "A question for you all"?

Anyone can participate in "A question for you all" as long as they follow the designated guidelines and rules of the platform or forum.

5. How are the responses from "A question for you all" used?

The responses from "A question for you all" are typically used for research, analysis, or to gain a better understanding of different perspectives on a particular topic. They may also be used to spark further discussions or debates.