1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A question from electrostatics

1. Aug 19, 2011 #1
    The displacement vector in a cube is defined by the relation D =(4x*xy + z)i+(4xy)j-(z)k c/m2 . Then charge enclosed within the cube of side 1m is …………..
    I know that the displacement vector holds the relation
    ∇ . D = ρ
    Where ρ is the charge density. I found ∇ . D and calculated its volume integral with x,y and z varying between 0 and 1. What I got was 3 coloumb but the correct answer is 4 colomb. Can someone help me with this?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 19, 2011 #2

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

It's not exactly clear to me, how your [itex]\vec{D}[/itex] reads. Please use the LaTeX formulas. I read it as follows

[tex]\vec{D}=\begin{pmatrix}
    4 x^2 y +z\\
    4 x y \\
    z
    \end{pmatrix}
    [/tex]

Then

[tex]\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{D}=4xy+4x+1.[/tex]

The next question is, where your cube is located. I used Mathematica to calculate for your cube, which you give as [itex][0,1] \times [0,1] \times [0,1][/itex]. Then I get 5 (whatever units you use, since these are also inconsistent).

4. Aug 19, 2011 #3
    sir, actually D is having -z as k component. ∇ . D = 8xy + 4x -1 then.(u hav written it as 4xy+4x+1). nothing is mentioned in the question about the location of the cube. i didn't understand your [0 X 1] technique sir. can you please explain?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook