Understanding the Magnetic Field Boundary Conditions for an Infinite Cylinder

• Thread starter michaelsagi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Emf Exam
In summary, the conversation discusses an infinite cylinder with a uniform volume charge density and a given magnetic field. The questions asked are about the magnetic vector potential, electric field, and the implications of the magnetic field boundary conditions. The attempt at a solution involves using Maxwell's equations with the vector potential.
michaelsagi

Homework Statement

An infinite cylinder (radius a) with a uniform volume charge density rho_v is given. The axis of the cylinder coincides with the z axis. The following magnetic field exists:

B=B0cos(wt+a) for r<=a (i.e., inside the cylinder and on its walls)
B=0 for r>a (i.e., outside the cylinder)

One asks:

1) What is the magnetic vector potential everywhere
2) What is the electric field everywhere
3) What can one learn from the magnetic field boundary conditions

The Attempt at a Solution

Unfortunately, I do not have any clue how to address this question. There is a static charge which generated a static electric field, and there is an induced electric field due to the alternating magnetic field. Is the overall electric field a superposition of the two electric fields or am I mistaken ? Do the boundary conditions imply that the cylinder behaves as an ideal solenoid ? Do I only need to find the rotor of the magnetic field to get the magnetic vector potential ?

Thank you for the help !

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's straightforth once you use Maxwell's equations (with vector potential).

1. What is EMF?

EMF stands for electromagnetic field. It is a type of energy that is created by the movement of electrically charged particles. It is present everywhere in our environment, from natural sources like the sun and the earth, to man-made sources like cell phones and power lines.

2. How is EMF measured?

EMF is measured in units of Gauss (G) or Tesla (T). These units represent the strength of the magnetic field, with 1 T being equal to 10,000 G. EMF can also be measured in units of milliGauss (mG) or microTesla (µT) for smaller fields.

3. What are the potential health effects of EMF exposure?

There is ongoing research on the potential health effects of EMF exposure. Some studies have suggested a link between long-term exposure to high levels of EMF and an increased risk of certain health conditions, such as cancer and neurological disorders. However, more research is needed to fully understand the potential risks.

4. How can I reduce my exposure to EMF?

To reduce your exposure to EMF, you can try to limit your use of electronic devices, especially those that emit high levels of EMF, such as cell phones and computers. You can also keep a safe distance from sources of EMF, such as power lines and electrical appliances. Additionally, there are products available, such as EMF shielding devices, that claim to reduce exposure to EMF.

5. Is there a safe level of EMF exposure?

Currently, there is no universally agreed upon safe level of EMF exposure. Different countries and organizations have set different guidelines and safety limits for EMF exposure. It is important to follow these guidelines and also take steps to reduce your exposure as much as possible.