1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A question from QM by Messiah.

1. Aug 30, 2009 #1

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    With the wave function [tex]\psi(r)[/tex] of a particle, one forms the function:
    [tex]D(R,P)=\frac{\int exp(-\frac{i}{\hbar} P\cdot r)\psi^*(R-r/2)\psi (R+r/2) dr}{(2\pi \hbar)^3}[/tex], which is the density in phase of a classical statistical mixture associated with this wave function, Show that:
    1. [tex]\int D(R,P)dP=|\psi (R)|^2[/tex] [tex]\int D(R,P)dR=|\psi (P)|^2[/tex].
    2. if the particle is free, the evolution in time of the mixture is strictly that of a statistical mixture of free classical particles of the same mass;
    3. find the spreading law of a free wave packet.

2. Relevant equations
    I think one of them is dirac delta function:
    [tex]\int \frac{exp(-\frac{i}{\hbar} P\cdot r)}{(2\pi \hbar)^3}dr=\delta(r) \ \int \frac{exp(-\frac{i}{\hbar} P\cdot r)}{(2\pi \hbar)^3}dP=\delta(P)[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    1. So far by using the above equality I get that:
    [tex]\int D(R,P)dP=\int \frac{\int exp(-\frac{i}{\hbar} P\cdot r)\psi^*(R-r/2)\psi (R+r/2) dr}{(2\pi \hbar)^3} dP=\int \psi^*(R-r/2)\psi (R+r/2) dr[/tex], I don't see how this becomes the amplitude of the wave function in the R space squared?

2. Don't know what I need to show here.

3. The same as with 2.

Any hints?
    Not answers!

Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2009 #2
    Just to help you with 1, your equations are wrong - both of them depend only on r on one side of the equation and P on the other side. Fix them and redo the integration.

4. Oct 2, 2009 #3

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

Can someone help me with questions 2,3?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook