How Do You Calculate the Filament Area Ratio Between Main and Car Head Lamps?

• Thread starter marco123
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the ratio between the cross sectional areas of the filaments in a mains lamp and a car headlamp. Both filaments are made of the same material and have the same length. The mains lamp has a power of 100W at 230V, while the car headlamp has a power of 36W at 12V. The conversation also mentions the formula W = I^2R and asks about the differences in current between the two lamps.
marco123
hi all i have a question to do but i can't seem to get my head round it and i was hoping some of you might be able to explain it better so here it is:
"the coiled filaments in a main lamp and a car head lamp are made of the same material and have the same length. Use the info. below to calculate the ratio:
cross sectional area of the mains lamp filament/cross sectional area of the headlamp filament

Mains lamp: 230V; 100W Car headlamp;12V; 36W

Many thanks
Marco

Physics news on Phys.org
marco123 said:
hi all i have a question to do but i can't seem to get my head round it and i was hoping some of you might be able to explain it better so here it is:
"the coiled filaments in a main lamp and a car head lamp are made of the same material and have the same length. Use the info. below to calculate the ratio:
cross sectional area of the mains lamp filament/cross sectional area of the headlamp filament

Mains lamp: 230V; 100W Car headlamp;12V; 36W

Many thanks
Marco

Your power is W = I2R

What do you suppose are the differences in current between the 2?

Hello Marco,

The ratio of the cross sectional area of the mains lamp filament to the cross sectional area of the car headlamp filament can be calculated using the formula:

(Area of mains lamp filament)/(Area of car headlamp filament) = (Voltage of mains lamp)^2 x (Power of car headlamp)/ (Voltage of car headlamp)^2 x (Power of mains lamp)

Substituting the given values, we get:

(Area of mains lamp filament)/(Area of car headlamp filament) = (230V)^2 x (36W)/ (12V)^2 x (100W)

= 529 x 36/144 x 100

= 19044/14400

= 1.32

Therefore, the ratio of the cross sectional area of the mains lamp filament to the cross sectional area of the car headlamp filament is approximately 1.32. This means that the mains lamp filament is about 1.32 times thicker than the car headlamp filament.

I hope this helps to clarify the question for you. Remember to always use the appropriate formulas and units when solving scientific problems. If you have any further questions, feel free to ask. Good luck!

1. What is the meaning of "A question i just cant get"?

The meaning of "A question i just cant get" can vary depending on the context. It could refer to a specific question that is difficult to understand or find an answer to, or it could be a general statement about struggling with a certain topic or concept.

2. Why is this question difficult to answer?

There could be a variety of reasons why a question is difficult to answer. It could be because the question is complex and requires a deeper understanding of the topic, or it could be because there is limited information available on the subject.

3. How can I approach answering this question?

The best approach to answering a difficult question is to break it down into smaller, more manageable parts. Start by identifying the key concepts or keywords in the question and then gather information and evidence to support your answer.

4. Can I find the answer to this question through research?

It is possible to find the answer to this question through research, but it may require more effort and digging than other questions. Utilizing a variety of sources, such as books, articles, and credible websites, can help in finding the necessary information.

5. How can I improve my critical thinking skills to better understand and answer this question?

Improving critical thinking skills involves actively questioning, analyzing, and evaluating information to form well-reasoned conclusions. To better understand and answer difficult questions, it is important to practice critical thinking by questioning assumptions, considering alternative perspectives, and using evidence to support your reasoning.