1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A question in groups and presentation

1. Nov 18, 2012 #1
    let X(2n) be the group whose presentation is :
    ( x,y l x^n = y^2 = 1 , xy = yx^2 )

show that if n = 3k then X2n has order 6
    and if (3,n)=1 then x satisfies the additional relation x=1 , in this case , deduce that X(2n) has order 2
    note that :
    x^3 = 1

the idea is :
    first step ,
    I suppose that S is a set : S= { 1 , x , y , x^2 , xy , yx }
    then I proved that the elements of S are distinct " I mean that if a , b belongs to S then it's nessary that a=\= b "

then I proved that S = X(2n )
    I did it as follows :
    first I proved that every element of X(2n) is a product of finite elements if S
    then I proved that any product of finite elements of S equals to some elements of S
    the I deduced that every element of X(2n) belongs to S so X(2n) ⊂ S
    but S ⊂ X(2n) because {x,y} generates X(2n) then {x,y} ⊂ X(2n) and every possible product of them also belongs to X(2n) because multipication is closed in groups

so X(2n) = S

but
    lSl = the order of S = 6
    so l X(2n) l = 6

at last , I show that if n is not equal to 3k then elements of S are not distinct so
    l s l = 6 if n = 3k

is this idea true ??

the details is long

so I will omit it ,

and I wonder about your ideas to slove this problem ??
    I find my one too long

thank you very much

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?