1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A question in knematics

1. Jun 4, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A particle moves along a straight line such that its displacement x changes with time t as x= sqrt( at+2bt + c) where a, b and c are constants, then the acceleration varies with x as

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I cant figure out how do i solve it. Using graphs as well, I could not arrive at any conclusion.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 4, 2014 #2

adjacent

Gold Member

The question is incomplete. Please post the full question

4. Jun 4, 2014 #3
    No, @adjacent, the question isnt incomplete. We have to fill in the blank. "the acceleration varies with x as ________ ". Sorry for not mentioning it clearly!

5. Jun 4, 2014 #4

adjacent

Gold Member

When you are given the position as a function of time, how do you find the acceleration using derivative?

6. Jun 4, 2014 #5
    My suggestion:
    First take second derivative of x with respect to t to get acceleration which we will call z.
    Then use dz/dx = (dz/dt)/(dx/dt)

Looks messy, but technically correct. In the final result, substitute for x where it appears.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted