1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A question in lenear algebra

1. Jan 15, 2008 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 15, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Your two questions are "Why are P(xR)= xR and P(xN)= 0?" and "what is the meaning of (I- P)(x)?".

You are projecting x onto R. That is, xR= P(x), the component of x lying along R. If some vector, y, is already pointing in the R direction, P(y)= y. If you project again, since xR is already along R, projecting again just gives you the same thing again.

As for P(xN)= 0, that is only true if N is orthogonal to R. Your picture does not make it look like that but you say "ker P= N". If xN is in ker P, then by definition of kernel, P(x)= 0. Are you sure you aren't told somewhere that R and N are orthogonal?

Finally, (I- P)x= Ix- P(x)= x-P(x). It is x, with P(x) subtracted. If you drop a perpendicular from the tip of x to R, the intersection is at the tip of R- you have a right triangle with hypotenuse x, "near side" P(x), and opposite side x- P(x). If you "follow" the path from the origin of x to its tip, then down that perpendicular (call it "y"), you get to the tip of P(x): x+ y= P(x) so y= P(x)- x= -(I- P)x: -(I- P)x and so (I-P)x is always perpendicular to R.

4. Jan 15, 2008 #3
    can you please make a drawing to explain this p(Xr) p(Xn)
    because i cant emagine all this components
    and you said aslo thats my drawing is not correct

regarding the second part i didnt understand
    the theoretical part of it
    why are they doing
    (I- P)(x)
    what is the theoretical meenig of that

Last edited: Jan 15, 2008
  5. Jan 15, 2008 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If you did not understand what I said before, then I recommend you talk to your teacher. Apparently you do not understand what a "projection" is.

6. Jan 15, 2008 #5
    correct me if i got it wrong p is taking the parts of the given vector
    which is located on R

then the the axes are supposed to be perpandicular

i still cant understand the meening of the sign:
    why are they doing
    (I- P)(x)
    what is the theoretical meenig of that
    ??

Last edited: Jan 15, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?