1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A question in space geometry

1. Mar 17, 2004 #1
    Ok, you take a rectangular and fold it along one of its diagonal, so that the two planes are perpendicular to each other.

Using [tex]a[/tex] and [tex]b[/tex], what is the distance between the points A and B ([tex]d[/tex])?

My anwer is:
    [tex]d = \sqrt{a^2 + b^2 - \frac{2a^2b^2}{a^2 + b^2}} = \sqrt{\frac{a^4 + b^4}{a^2 + b^2}}[/tex]
    But I doubt that it's actually correct. :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 17, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2004 #2
    By the way, this is how I solved it (see attachment). I found x and f with Pythagoras, and using f I found y with the cosine law (the extended Pythagoras thing :wink:). And from there I just used x and y to find d with Pythagoras.

So is this correct, and is there an easier way to do this?

Attached Files:

4. Mar 20, 2004 #3

verty

Homework Helper

I got the same answer so I am sure it is correct. The only slight difference in what I did was I used the two perpendicular heights and the distance between them.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook