Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A question in Weinberg's QFT.

1. Oct 15, 2013 #1
    In &9.1 writing:
    <q',t'/T{O[itex]_{A}[/itex](P(tA),Q(tA)),O[itex]_{B}[/itex](P(tB),Q(tB))...}/q,t>=

[itex]\int[/itex][itex]\Pi[/itex]dq[itex]_{a}[/itex]([itex]\tau[/itex])dp[itex]_{b}[/itex]([itex]\tau[/itex])O[itex]_{A}[/itex]O[itex]_{B}[/itex]x

exp[i[itex]\int[/itex]d[itex]\tau[/itex]{[itex]\sum[/itex]q[itex]^{.}[/itex][itex]\tau[/itex]p[itex]_{a}[/itex]([itex]\tau[/itex])-H(q([itex]\tau[/itex])p([itex]\tau[/itex])}].(9.1.38)

Where T is the time order product.
    It is q[itex]_{a}[/itex],p[itex]_{a}[/itex] are not constrained to obey the equation of classical Hamintonian dynamics:
    q[itex]^{.}[/itex][itex]_{a}[/itex]([itex]\tau[/itex])-[itex]\delta[/itex]H/[itex]\delta[/itex]p[itex]_{a}[/itex]([itex]\tau[/itex])=0.(9.1.39)

p[itex]^{.}[/itex][itex]_{a}[/itex]([itex]\tau[/itex])-[itex]\delta[/itex]H/[itex]\delta[/itex]q[itex]_{a}[/itex]([itex]\tau[/itex])=0.(9.1.40)
    Nevertheless,there is a limited sense in which path integrals do respect these equations of motion.Suppose that one of the functions in (9.1.38) say O[itex]_{A}[/itex](p(tA),q(tA)),happens to be the left-hand side of either Eq.(9.1.39),(9.1.40).We note that(for t<tA<t')

(q[itex]^{.}[/itex][itex]_{a}[/itex](tA)-[itex]\delta[/itex]H(q(tA),p(tA))/[itex]\delta[/itex]p[itex]_{a}[/itex](tA))exp(iI[q,p]=-i[itex]\delta[/itex]exp(iI[q,p])/[itex]\delta[/itex]p[itex]_{a}[/itex](tA)

p[itex]^{.}[/itex](tA)-[itex]\delta[/itex]H(q(tA),p(tA))/[itex]\delta[/itex]q[itex]_{a}[/itex](tA)exp(iI[q,p])=i[itex]\delta[/itex]exp(iI[q,p])/[itex]\delta[/itex]q[itex]_{a}[/itex](tA).

where iI is the argument of the exponential in Eq.(9.1.38).
    As long as tA does not approach t or t', the integrations over q[itex]_{a}[/itex](tA) and p[itex]_{a}[/itex](tA) are unconstrained,and so with reasonable assumtions about the convergence of these integrals,the integral of such variational derivatives must vanish.Hence the path integral(9.1.38) vanish if O[itex]_{A}[/itex](p,q)is taken to be the left-hand side of either of the equations of motion (9.1.39) or (9.1.40).

Then my argue is:
    Why does unconstrained on the integrations over p and q with condition of convergence lead to the integral must vanish? If it is not vanish,is it divergence,but why?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted