1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A question of roots of riemann function

1. Aug 9, 2005 #1
    let be the quotient:

[tex] Lim_{x->c}\frac{\zeta(1-x)}{\zeta(x)} [/tex]
    where x=c is a root of riemann function... then my question is if that limit is equal to exp(ik) with k any real constant...thanks... the limit is wehn x tends to c bieng c a root of riemann constant

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 9, 2005 #2

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If c is a trivial root, the answer is clearly no.

If c is a non-trivial root, if you use the functional equation the answer should be clear.

4. Aug 9, 2005 #3

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

no, that can't be true, k surely cannot be *any* real constant? it can at best be *some* real constant.

5. Aug 9, 2005 #4
    let,s suppose c is a trivial root i mean 0<re(c)<1 i have checked with the functional equation the limit [tex]Limx->c\frac{\zeta(1-x)}{zeta(x)} [/tex] my question is if we can express this limit as exp(ik) with k some real constant...

i have checked the functional equation for zeta if we call [tex]\zeta(1-s)=F(s)\zeta(s) [/tex] the only thinkg i have proved is that F^*(a+ib)=F(a-ib) (with * complex conjugate) but i don,t know if it will be true that the coefficient is equal to exp(ik).

6. Aug 9, 2005 #5

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

if 0<Re(c)<1 it is a NON-trivial root.

[tex]\frac{\zeta(1-s)}{\zeta(s)}=\chi(1-s)[/tex], and I'm sure you know what [tex]\chi[/tex] is despite your continued use of "F".

So it depends on [tex]\chi(1-c)[/tex]. If c is on the critical line, this has modulus 1. If c is off the critical line, this may have modulus 1 as well, or it may not.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook