CGS Units in Physics: Use & Benefits

• Thread starter stunner5000pt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Units
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of different units, specifically SI, MKS, and CGS, in the field of electromagnetics. While some prefer the cleanliness of CGS units, others argue that it is important to stick to one system and learn it well. The use of different units also varies in different areas of physics. Ultimately, it is a matter of convenience and preference.
stunner5000pt
Up until my third year EM course we have used SI and MKS units in EM. In fact every textbook i have used for EM (griffiths,wangsness) also use those units.

My current prof wants up to learn CGS units. While they do appear much 'cleaner' (no epsilon0, mu0 for certain equations) what is their use in the real world?

What units would a physicist in his or her day to day life of physics use?? At least in north america...

is the cleanliness of expressions the only reason why these units are used??

Physics news on Phys.org
One and only one. Just like any matter of notation or convention, the advice is learn one well and apply it everywhere. If you're taught in SI/MKS, then you'd better look for sources which use this system of units. Actually, tou'll see that atomic physics uses other system of units, particle physics/QFT another and i don't see the point of making your life more difficult using both MKS and CGS for electrodynamics.

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
One and only one. Just like any matter of notation or convention, the advice is learn one well and apply it everywhere. If you're taught in SI/MKS, then you'd better look for sources which use this system of units. Actually, tou'll see that atomic physics uses other system of units, particle physics/QFT another and i don't see the point of making your life more difficult using both MKS and CGS for electrodynamics.

Daniel.

to bad my prof doesn't see it this way

i need to learn CGS now

now its going to be hard to even think i get the right answer :cry:

It usually depends on what scale you're working in--for instance atomic masses are measured in grams/mol rather than the SI unit kilograms/mol (which would then require a x10^-3 by each number). It really is just about convenience.

The nonlinear optics community also commonly uses CGS.

1. What are CGS units and how are they used in physics?

CGS units, or centimeter-gram-second units, are a system of measurement commonly used in physics. They are based on the centimeter for length, the gram for mass, and the second for time. These units are used to express physical quantities such as length, mass, and time in equations and calculations.

2. What are some benefits of using CGS units in physics?

One of the main benefits of using CGS units is that they are a more intuitive system of measurement compared to other systems like the metric or imperial systems. This makes it easier to understand and visualize physical quantities in real-world scenarios. Additionally, CGS units are often used in fundamental equations in physics, making it easier to perform calculations and compare results.

3. How do CGS units differ from other unit systems?

CGS units differ from other unit systems in terms of the base units used and the size of the units. For example, the centimeter is a smaller unit of length compared to the meter in the metric system. Additionally, CGS units use the gram as the base unit for mass, whereas the metric system uses the kilogram. This can result in different numerical values for the same physical quantity.

4. Are CGS units still used in modern physics?

While CGS units were once the standard system of measurement in physics, they have largely been replaced by the International System of Units (SI). However, CGS units are still used in certain fields of physics, such as electromagnetism and high-energy physics, due to their convenience and compatibility with certain equations and theories.

5. Can CGS units be converted to other unit systems?

Yes, CGS units can be converted to other unit systems using conversion factors. For example, to convert centimeters to meters, you would multiply the value in centimeters by 0.01. Similarly, to convert grams to kilograms, you would multiply the value in grams by 0.001. It is important to note the conversion factors may vary slightly depending on the specific unit system being used.