Chance of Game Ending in 5 trials: Exam Question Analysis

• Thread starter mynameisfunk
  • Start date
In summary: Roll" is also singular, it can't refer to more than one roll of the die. So, if you flip the coin multiple times, you would have multiple "trials" and if you roll the die multiple times, you would have multiple "trials". The sum of all these flips and rolls would be how many trials there are. The answer is (11/12)*(1/12) or 1/24.
mynameisfunk
Ok, This is not a homework or textbook problem; this is a question from an exam I recently took that I would like opinion on the wording of the problem.

Question: A fair coin is flipped until a head is observed and then a fair die is rolled until a 6 appears. Each flip and each roll is counted as a "trial". What is the chance that the game ends in 5 trials?

I put the culprit in bold. I interpreted the definition of a trial to be flipping a coin until you get a head and then you get to roll the die and that is the end of a trial, if you did not get a 6, then you start flipping the coin again. The reason I understood this was because of the word "and", if it had said "Each flip or each roll is counted as a trial" then I believe it would have meant the easier interpretation of just counting the ways you can flip a coin until you get a head and then you start rolling the die and never pick the coin back up.

I solved it as I interpreted it, which I may or may not be wrong, but I took the complement of the event of flipping a head and rolling a 6 which should be 1-[(1/2)(1/6)]=(11/12) then I simply said the chance of it ending exactly on the 5th trial was [(11/12)^4]*(1/12)

Sorry for the lack of LaTeX, I haven't done any in a while. Would someone please tell me their thoughts? This was a major exam and I am pretty beat up..

Physics news on Phys.org
You have 2 pencils and 3 pens. Each pencil and each pen is counted as an item. How many items do you have?

You have 2 pencils and 3 pens. Each pencil or each pen is counted as an item. How many items do you have?

I see these as the same question and same goes for your exam question.

The question is badly worded.

The meaning of the sentence "Each flip and each roll is counted as a 'trial'" is "Each flip is counted as a 'trial' and each roll is counted as a 'trial'" (I assume 'trial' is in quotation marks in the original question to indicate that 'trial' is not used in its normal sense where trials are homogenous events with a single set of outcomes), so unless the question setter did not mean what was written then you have picked the wrong answer.

The sentence "Each flip or each roll is counted as a 'trial'" means "Each flip is counted as a 'trial' or each roll is counted as a 'trial'" which does not make sense, but if it had been worded "Each flip or roll is counted as a trial" it would have been clearer.

My reading of the original question. Flip coin until you get heads, then roll die until you get a six. The number of trials is the sum of the number of flips plus the number of rolls. What is the probability that this number is 5 (or less?).

I concur with Zafa Pi and mathman. I don't see an ambiguity, and my interpretation is exactly what mathman said.

Ok guys, maybe you are right. I can see it now. If you were a professor, would you yield? I definitely see an ambiguity here. I just feel like it could have been much clearer as with these questions the wording needs to be pretty clear on what they want. In direct response to Zafa Pi, I definitely see now how those 2 statements are equivalent but one is definitely unambiguous and the other I feel like it COULD be interpreted as one pen and one pencil as a pair and are one item together.

Students argue with their professors all the time. Who knows? You might be able to make a case here. Maybe.

I remember in a final exam misinterpreting ##8\sqrt{f(x)}## as ##\sqrt[8]{f(x)}##. I thought I did so well to answer that difficult question.

In your case, "flip" is singular, it can't refer to more than one flip. Each flip means, each one flip of the coin, it couldn't be n flips.

1. What is the purpose of studying the chance of a game ending in 5 trials?

The purpose of studying the chance of a game ending in 5 trials is to understand the probability and likelihood of a game ending within a specific number of trials. This information can be useful in predicting how long a game may last and can also provide insights into the fairness of the game.

2. How is the chance of a game ending in 5 trials calculated?

The chance of a game ending in 5 trials is calculated by dividing the number of possible outcomes where the game ends in 5 trials by the total number of possible outcomes. This probability can be expressed as a decimal, percentage, or fraction.

3. What factors can affect the chance of a game ending in 5 trials?

The factors that can affect the chance of a game ending in 5 trials include the rules and mechanics of the game, the skill level of the players, and the randomness of the game. The more complex and unpredictable a game is, the less likely it is to end in 5 trials.

4. How can analyzing the chance of a game ending in 5 trials be useful in game design?

Analyzing the chance of a game ending in 5 trials can be useful in game design as it can help designers create a more balanced and engaging game. By understanding the likelihood of a game ending in a certain number of trials, designers can adjust the rules or mechanics to create a more fair and enjoyable experience for players.

5. Can the chance of a game ending in 5 trials be applied to real-life situations?

Yes, the concept of chance and probability can be applied to many real-life situations, including games. By understanding the chance of a game ending in 5 trials, we can also gain insights into the likelihood of other events occurring and make more informed decisions based on that information.