1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A question on CD diffraction

1. Oct 23, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    White light was shone vertically down on a cd tilted 5°, with adjacent tracks d = 720 nm. An observer some distance away observes a color of light. Determine that wavelength of light observed. (Refer to picture attachment)

2. Relevant equations
    finding path difference

3. The attempt at a solution

I understand that finding the path difference is key to solving this problem. So, i found the path difference to be simply:

d cos (90+ 5 - ∅) = (1)(λ)

But the answer wrote path difference =
    d cos (90 + 5 - ∅) - d cos (90 - 5)

Using the provided answer, it didnt make sense to me for the additional term of ' d cos (90 - 5)' to be there?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2011 #2
    I think there will be path length differences from the 5 degree tilt of the cd and from the angle of the viewer, see sketch below,

Attached Files:

4. Oct 24, 2011 #3
    hmm i still don't seem to be able to grasp the answer..

5. Oct 24, 2011 #4
    Look at the sketch and follow the two paths. Calculate the path length difference from the first dashed line to the second dashed line. I think you will find the required answer.

6. Oct 24, 2011 #5
    OH i get it! the tilting causes path difference before and after diffration at surface!

the right beam has to go down more while the left beam has to travel more!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook