What is the correct equation for finding path difference in CD diffraction?

• Thread starter unscientific
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diffraction
In summary, the path difference caused by the tilting of the CD and the angle of the observer is essential in determining the wavelength of light observed. By calculating the path length difference from the first to the second dashed line on the provided sketch, the required answer can be found. The tilting of the CD causes a difference in path length before and after diffraction at the surface, resulting in a longer path for the left beam and a shorter path for the right beam.
unscientific

Homework Statement

White light was shone vertically down on a cd tilted 5°, with adjacent tracks d = 720 nm. An observer some distance away observes a color of light. Determine that wavelength of light observed. (Refer to picture attachment)

Homework Equations

finding path difference

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand that finding the path difference is key to solving this problem. So, i found the path difference to be simply:

d cos (90+ 5 - ∅) = (1)(λ)

But the answer wrote path difference =
d cos (90 + 5 - ∅) - d cos (90 - 5)

Using the provided answer, it didnt make sense to me for the additional term of ' d cos (90 - 5)' to be there?

Attachments

• cd diffraction.jpg
    cd diffraction.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 398
  • cd diffraction2.jpg
    cd diffraction2.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 369
Physics news on Phys.org
I think there will be path length differences from the 5 degree tilt of the cd and from the angle of the viewer, see sketch below,

Attachments

• block090.jpg
    block090.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 407
hmm i still don't seem to be able to grasp the answer..

Look at the sketch and follow the two paths. Calculate the path length difference from the first dashed line to the second dashed line. I think you will find the required answer.

Spinnor said:
Look at the sketch and follow the two paths. Calculate the path length difference from the first dashed line to the second dashed line. I think you will find the required answer.

OH i get it! the tilting causes path difference before and after diffration at surface!

the right beam has to go down more while the left beam has to travel more!

1. What is CD diffraction?

CD diffraction is a phenomenon that occurs when light is shone onto the surface of a compact disc (CD). The light reflects off the surface and creates a diffraction pattern, which is a series of bright and dark spots. This happens because the pits and lands on the CD's surface act as a diffraction grating, causing the light to diffract in different directions.

2. How does CD diffraction occur?

CD diffraction occurs due to the interaction between light and the microscopic pits and lands on the CD's surface. When light is shone onto the CD, it hits these pits and lands at different angles and is diffracted, creating the characteristic rainbow-like pattern.

3. What causes the different colors in a CD diffraction pattern?

The different colors in a CD diffraction pattern are caused by the interference of light waves. When light is diffracted by the pits and lands on the CD's surface, the different wavelengths of light interfere with each other, resulting in the different colors that we see.

4. Can CD diffraction be used for any practical applications?

Yes, CD diffraction has several practical applications. It is commonly used in barcode scanners, where the diffraction pattern of the barcode is read by the scanner to retrieve information. It is also used in spectrometers to analyze the properties of different materials based on the diffraction pattern they create.

5. Is CD diffraction affected by the physical properties of the CD?

Yes, the physical properties of the CD, such as its thickness, reflectivity, and surface texture, can affect the diffraction pattern. For example, a thicker CD will produce a more pronounced diffraction pattern, while a smoother surface will result in a clearer and more defined pattern. These factors need to be taken into account when using CD diffraction for practical applications.