Can Cosmic Rays Penetrate Stones, Mountains, and the Human Body? Answers here!

In summary: Cosmic rays, which are high-energy protons, interact with the atmosphere to create showers of secondary particles. These particles can penetrate some materials-such as rocks and mountains-but not the human body. Muons, which are particularly penetrating, are a result of this interaction. They can penetrate some materials underground, but the effect on the body is mostly to cause random chemical reactions. Cosmic rays are believed to be responsible for some cancers and mutations, but the effect on humans is generally minimal.
mackreg
Guys please help me with an answer to this question. Which substances can cosmic rays penetrate? I mean, can the cosmic rays penetrate stones, mountains, etc etc. Can they penetrate the human body also? If yes then the cosmic rays are bound to have influence on human bodies and minds? Kindly give your thoughts if you know about this. Thanks

Space news on Phys.org
Cosmic rays are mostly high energy protons. These will interact with the material in the upper atmosphere producing showers of secondary particles (muons etc.) which reach the earth.

As far as penetration is concerned, you could look up articles in Wikipedia.

mackreg said:
Guys please help me with an answer to this question. Which substances can cosmic rays penetrate? I mean, can the cosmic rays penetrate stones, mountains, etc etc. Can they penetrate the human body also? If yes then the cosmic rays are bound to have influence on human bodies and minds? Kindly give your thoughts if you know about this. Thanks
Most of the cosmic ray radiation that reaches the ground is in the form of muons. Muons are quite penetrating, and will reach for some limited distance underground. The effect on the body is basically to cause random chemical reactions. Cosmic ray muons are one cause of cancer, for instance.

Cosmic rays are extremely energetic particles [atomic nuclei fragments] flung out by supernova, quasars, agn and other high energy events in the universe. They bombard Earth constantly and pass through biological materials [like humans] with ease. As Chalnoth noted, they are thought to be responsible for some cancers and mutations.

It can be represented like this equation.
similar to Beer-Lambert law.
I_sur/I_cos= (I_sur/I_str)(I_str/I_mes)...( ./I_cos)
I_i/I_j = exp(- a_i b_i h_i)
I_i; cosmic ray intensity at the end of the layer i.
I_j; cosmic ray intensity entering the layer i.
a_i b_i ; cosmic ray absorption constant in the layer i.
(collision reaction + absorption)
h_i; layer thickness.

.I_cos
. thermosphere
. I_sur troposphere
.....Earth surface

Total effective intensity at the surface is

I_total = I_sur + I_secondary
I_secondary; muon intensity comes from cosmic ray collision + orthers.
Its vary rare, but if cosmic ray intensity were very high, we could be highly radiated.

Last edited:
As far as I know, you need a good book in nuclear physics. I had not seen a great book entirely devoted to cosmic rays, although they are the source of knowledge in many sciences that use radionuclides for dating, for example. The transmutations of elements under the influence of cosmic ray particles are all around us - in the underground caves, on the rooftops and in the atmosphere.

1. What are cosmic rays and where do they come from?

Cosmic rays are highly energetic particles that originate from outside the Earth's atmosphere. They can come from a variety of sources, such as the sun, other stars, and even distant galaxies.

2. How are cosmic rays detected and measured?

Cosmic rays are detected using specialized instruments, such as particle detectors and telescopes. These instruments can measure the energy and direction of cosmic rays as they enter the Earth's atmosphere.

3. What are the potential effects of cosmic rays on Earth and its inhabitants?

Cosmic rays can have both positive and negative effects on Earth and its inhabitants. On one hand, they can create beautiful auroras and contribute to the formation of clouds. On the other hand, they can also pose a radiation hazard to astronauts and cause damage to sensitive electronics in satellites.

4. How do cosmic rays impact our understanding of the universe?

Cosmic rays provide valuable information about the universe and its origins. They can help us study the composition and structure of distant galaxies, as well as the physics of high-energy processes in the universe.

5. Can cosmic rays be used for practical applications?

Yes, cosmic rays have been used in a variety of practical applications such as medical imaging, carbon dating, and studying the Earth's magnetic field. They also have potential for use in future space travel and propulsion systems.