Deriving Electric Field Near Metal Plate: Coulomb's & Gauss' Law

In summary, the electric field near a square metal plate with infinitesimal thickness is given by E = \sigma / \epsilon, where \sigma is the charge per unit area and \epsilon is the relative permeability. To derive this result, one can use Coulomb's law and Gauss' law. By taking a disc with infinitesimal width and integrating for radius 0 to infinity, the electric field can be found as E = \sigma \pi / 8 \epsilon. However, this result is incorrect and one should use Gauss' theorem instead. The Gaussian surface in this case would be the disc with infinitesimal width.
j-lee00
What is the field near a square metal plate (with infinitesimal thickness)

The answer is E = [tex]\sigma[/tex] / [tex]\epsilon[/tex]

where [tex]\sigma[/tex] = Charge per unit area

[tex]\epsilon[/tex] = relative permeabily

Please help me to derive this result. using coulombs and then gauss' law

Physics news on Phys.org
What will be the first step?

For coulomb

[tex]\int[/tex] dE = k [tex]\sigma[/tex][tex]\int[/tex] 1/r^2 dA

Im getting

E = [tex]\sigma[/tex] [tex]\pi[/tex] / 8 [tex]\epsilon[/tex]

The symbolys are multiplying not tothe power of. This result is wrong

I didn't understand how did u get that answer.
newayz, try using gauss theorem... what is the Gaussian surface here?

no i want to use colomb

K, then you have take a disc with infinitesimal width, find electric field due to it, and integrate for radius = 0 to infinity(coz the sheet is infinite)

i know

im just not getting the right ans

k, tell me what is electric field at a distance x from the infinitesimally wide disc of radius r ?

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical field that surrounds an electrically charged particle or object. It exerts a force on other charged particles within the field, causing them to either attract or repel each other.

2. How do electric fields work?

Electric fields are created by the presence of charged particles. The strength and direction of the field is determined by the magnitude and location of the charges. Electric fields work by exerting a force on other charged particles, causing them to move in a particular direction.

3. What is the formula for calculating electric fields?

The formula for calculating electric fields is E = kQ/r^2, where E represents the electric field strength, k is a constant, Q is the charge of the particle creating the field, and r is the distance between the particle and the point where the electric field is being measured.

4. How are electric fields different from magnetic fields?

Electric fields are created by the presence of electrically charged particles, while magnetic fields are created by the movement of electrically charged particles. Electric fields can exert a force on other charged particles, while magnetic fields can only affect moving charged particles.

5. What are some real-world applications of electric fields?

Electric fields have a wide range of applications, including powering electronic devices, controlling the movement of particles in medical procedures, and generating electricity through generators and power plants. They also play a crucial role in technologies such as lightning rods, capacitors, and particle accelerators.