Force and Velocity: Resolving a Question

• Thread starter ShayanJ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forces
In summary, when you shoot a ball, the ball has kinetic energy until it hits something and then the kinetic energy is transformed to another form, such as "heat".
ShayanJ
Insights Author
Gold Member
A few days ago I was thinking about the time duration that a force changes the velocity of the object its applied to and I reached the conclusion that the effect of force is at the moment of its applying.I mean if a shot to the ball gives it a maximum velocity V.then the ball's velocity at the moment of applying the force from your foot is V.
You all know the formula [tex] F=m \frac{\Delta v}{ \Delta t} [/tex].if we want to apply the last paragraph to this formula,we should tend [tex]\Delta t [/tex] to zero which gives us infinity and means that just very large forces show their effect at the moment of their applying which is not what we said in the last paragraph.
I want to know which of the things I've said is correct?
thanks alot

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Shyan said:
… the effect of force is at the moment of its applying …

Hi Shyan! :smile:

I think you're confusing force with impulse …

force is rate of change of momentum …

impulse is total change of momentum …

force has to be applied over a time period, or nothing will happen. :wink:

(and impulse can be assumed to be instantaneous)

I'm still confused.Could you explain it in an example?
and one other question.As you know we tell [tex]K=1/2 mv^2[/tex] which means object has Kinetic energy till it has motion.Then we say if we have friction,energy is reduced and when it reaches zer,object stops.So we say object has motion till it has energy.An infinity cycle.Is'nt sth wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
Shyan said:
if we want to apply the last paragraph to this formula,we should tend [tex]\Delta t [/tex] to zero which gives us infinity and means that just very large forces show their effect at the moment of their applying which is not what we said in the last paragraph.
When you have a ratio, just because the denominator tends to zero does not mean that the ratio goes to infinity. The numerator may be going to zero as well.

Consider a straight line. The slope is Δy/Δx. As you make Δx very small, does the slope change?

Shyan said:
and one other question.As you know we tell [tex]K=1/2 mv^2[/tex] which means object has Kinetic energy till it has motion.Then we say if we have friction,energy is reduced and when it reaches zer,object stops.So we say object has motion till it has energy.An infinity cycle.Is'nt sth wrong?
:confused: When something is moving, we say it has kinetic energy. When it stops moving, it no longer has kinetic energy. (The energy was transformed to another form, such as "heat".)

I mean which of them is depended on the other?(motion and kinetic energy)
And Could someone explain what happens when for example you shoot a ball?I don't know how to tell.I hope you understant what I mean!
thanks

Shyan said:
I mean which of them is depended on the other?(motion and kinetic energy)
If something is moving it has kinetic energy.
And Could someone explain what happens when for example you shoot a ball?
What do you mean?

I mean what happens every moment when for example we shoot a ball and what is the acceleration and velocity at any moment?I don't know how else can I say it?!

1. What is the relationship between force and velocity?

The relationship between force and velocity is described by Newton's second law of motion, which states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be in the direction of that force. However, if the mass of the object is increased, the acceleration will decrease for the same amount of force.

2. How do you calculate force and velocity?

Force can be calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its acceleration, using the formula F=ma. Velocity can be calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time taken to travel that distance, using the formula v=d/t. In order to resolve a question involving force and velocity, both of these calculations may need to be used in conjunction with each other.

3. What is the role of friction in the relationship between force and velocity?

The force of friction acts in the opposite direction of an object's motion, and is dependent on the surfaces in contact and the normal force between them. Friction can decrease the velocity of an object by opposing its motion, or it can increase the force required to maintain a certain velocity. In order to resolve a question about force and velocity, the effects of friction must be taken into account.

4. How does the angle of application of a force affect an object's velocity?

The angle of application of a force can affect an object's velocity in several ways. If the force is applied perpendicular to the object's motion, it will cause a change in the object's direction without affecting its speed. However, if the force is applied at an angle, it will cause both a change in direction and a change in speed. The magnitude of the change in speed will depend on the angle between the force and the object's velocity vector.

5. How does air resistance impact the velocity of an object?

Air resistance, also known as drag, is a force that opposes the motion of an object through air. This force increases with the speed of the object, but it also depends on the object's shape and surface area. As an object moves through air, it must exert a force to overcome the resistance caused by air molecules colliding with its surface. This can decrease the object's velocity, as more force is needed to maintain the same speed. In order to resolve a question involving force and velocity, the effects of air resistance must be considered.