1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A question on gravity

1. Oct 26, 2015 #1
    • Moved from technical forums. Did not use template.
    I have seen a question about two bodies left in a free space and the question ask when shall they collapse.
    For solving this I reached this step:(GM)*r^-2)*dr=(M*(m+M)^-1)*v*dv
    For the left side,the lower bound of the integral is R and the upper bound is 0.after calculating it the answer of the left side is:1*0^-1-(GM*R^-2),what can we do with it?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2015 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi Sobi, welcome to PF :smile: !

Interesting question, but assume that I don't know how you got here. Could you tell a little more about what you started with, what steps you did to get here ?

4. Oct 26, 2015 #3
    a=(GM*r^-2)=(dv*dt^-1)*M*(m+M)^-1

5. Oct 26, 2015 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Are we going to have to wring this out of you one line at a time? "Could you tell a little more about what you started with, what steps you did to get here?" was a very good question, and pretty much what we need to know to help you.

6. Oct 26, 2015 #5
    Continuing the question:I then multiplex the right side of it with dr*dr^-1.then bringing dt to the left side of the equation then it became the integral I talked about first.

7. Oct 27, 2015 #6
    Can someone answer my question

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted