Understanding the Collapse of Two Bodies in Free Space: Gravity Question

• Thread starter Sobi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gravity
In summary, the conversation discusses a question about two bodies left in a free space and when they will collapse. The solution involves using the formula (GM)*r^-2)*dr=(M*(m+M)^-1)*v*dv and calculating the left side using R as the lower bound and 0 as the upper bound. The conversation then asks for clarification on the steps taken to reach this point.
Sobi
Moved from technical forums. Did not use template.
I have seen a question about two bodies left in a free space and the question ask when shall they collapse.
For solving this I reached this step:(GM)*r^-2)*dr=(M*(m+M)^-1)*v*dv
For the left side,the lower bound of the integral is R and the upper bound is 0.after calculating it the answer of the left side is:1*0^-1-(GM*R^-2),what can we do with it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Sobi, welcome to PF :smile: !

Interesting question, but assume that I don't know how you got here. Could you tell a little more about what you started with, what steps you did to get here ?

a=(GM*r^-2)=(dv*dt^-1)*M*(m+M)^-1

Are we going to have to wring this out of you one line at a time? "Could you tell a little more about what you started with, what steps you did to get here?" was a very good question, and pretty much what we need to know to help you.

Continuing the question:I then multiplex the right side of it with dr*dr^-1.then bringing dt to the left side of the equation then it became the integral I talked about first.

Can someone answer my question

1. What is gravity?

Gravity is a natural phenomenon by which all physical bodies with mass are brought towards each other.

2. How does gravity work?

Gravity works by the concept of mass attracting other mass. The greater the mass, the more gravitational force it exerts.

3. Who discovered gravity?

Sir Isaac Newton is credited with discovering the concept of gravity in the late 17th century through his famous law of universal gravitation.

4. How does gravity affect objects?

Gravity affects objects by pulling them towards the center of the earth, causing them to accelerate at a rate of 9.8 meters per second squared.

5. Can gravity be manipulated or controlled?

Currently, we do not have the technology or knowledge to manipulate or control gravity. It is a natural force that cannot be altered by humans.