Interpreting the Wave-Number in the Formula for Group Velocity

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of group velocity for a wave packet using the formula v_g = dω/dk. The person expresses confusion about the interpretation of the wave number in the expression and how it relates to different parts of the wave packet. Two ways to determine the wave number are suggested, but the person disagrees with the idea of choosing a wave number arbitrarily. Overall, the conversation highlights the complexity of computing group velocity in the presence of dispersion.
ShayanJ
Insights Author
Gold Member
You people know that group velocity of a wave packet is calculated with the formula [itex] v_g=\frac{d \omega}{d k} [/itex].But this gives an expression which,in general,is a function of k.My problem is,I can't think of an interpretation for it.What is that wave-number appearing in the expression for group velocity?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what is confusing about this. As long as ω and k are not related linearly, the slope dω/dk will change with ω or k.

I know that different points of the wave packet move with different velocities,but I want to know how can I find the wave number associated to each point of the wave packet.

The wave number is associated with the entire packet, not with different parts of the packet.

A couple of ways to get the wave number are:

1. Use the wavelength, or perhaps the average wavelength, for the oscillations within the wave packet.

2. Look at the frequency spectrum of the wave packet, and use the peak or average frequency in that spectrum to determine the wave number.

I can't accept what you say!
In the presence of dispersion,any wave packet,in general,will lose shape which means different parts of it move with different velocities.
Also computing group velocity with a wave number which can be chosen between some alternatives seems a little arbitrary!

1. What is group velocity?

Group velocity is a measure of the speed at which a group of waves or particles propagates through a medium. It differs from individual particle velocity and can be thought of as the speed at which the energy of the group moves.

2. How is group velocity different from phase velocity?

Phase velocity is the speed at which individual crests or troughs of a wave move, while group velocity is the speed at which the overall shape or energy of the wave moves. In some cases, such as in dispersive media, the group velocity can be different from the phase velocity.

3. What factors affect group velocity?

The properties of the medium, such as its refractive index and density, can affect the group velocity. Additionally, the frequency and amplitude of the waves in the group can also have an impact on the group velocity.

4. How is group velocity measured?

Group velocity can be measured using various techniques, depending on the type of waves or particles being studied. For electromagnetic waves, it can be calculated using the medium's refractive index and the frequency of the waves. For particles, it can be measured using specialized equipment such as particle detectors or interferometers.

5. What are the applications of group velocity?

Group velocity has many practical applications, particularly in fields such as optics and quantum mechanics. It is used in the design of optical devices, such as lasers and fiber optics, and in the study of particle behavior in quantum systems. It also has applications in signal processing and communication technologies.