1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A question on homomorphisms

1. Dec 19, 2004 #1
    Consider the cyclic group G={a,a^2,a^3,...a^12=u} and its subgroup G`={a^2,a^4,...,a^12}. My book says that the mapping
    a^n ---> a^2n is an homomorphism of G onto G` (this seems true)

and that X: a^n ---> a^n is homomorphism of G` onto G (this seems to be false to me, a misprint)

A homomorphism of G` onto G would have
    1)every g` in G` has a unique image g in G (true)
    2)if X(a`)=a and X(b`)=b then X(a` o b`)=X(a x b) with operator o for G` and x for G (true)
    3)every g in G is an image (false) e.g. a^3 in G is not the image of any g` in G`.

In fact, it would seem to me that you can have a homomorphism of a group onto a subgroup, but you could not have a homomorphism of a subgroup onto a group ever. Is this right, or am I missing something?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 19, 2004 #2
    Have you confused homomorphism with isomorphism?

4. Dec 19, 2004 #3

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Try looking at infinite groups.

5. Dec 19, 2004 #4
    I see the problem. It is not a misprint, just poor language. The original text says (paraphrased) a homomorphism of G into H as
    F(G,*g) ---> (H,*h)
    and
    F(g1 *g g2)=F(g1) *h F(g2)

Then the book reads, "if (iii) every h in H is an image we have a homomorphism of G onto H." This is actually a definition of the term ONTO, that is to say epimorphism, or surjective. But if you are not used to all this, it almost makes it sound like a requirement of homomorphism, which I realize now it is not. This is why it sounded like I was confusing isomorphism with homomorphism, as isomorphisms are injective and surjective, that is one-to-one.

You all have really helped clear this up. Carrying this misunderstanding forward could have been deadly.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?