A question on Lie groups

• Thread starter asm
  • Start date
asm

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hi all,

Anybody knowes how to find, or at least knows the reference that shows, the real lie algebra of sl(n,H)?
By sl(n,H), I mean the elements in Gl(n,H) [i.e. the invertible quaternionic n by n matrices] whose real determinant is one.

Many Thanks
Asi

Answers and Replies

Given that the Lie Algebra of a Lie Group is identified with the tangent space of the Lie Group at the identity, I would create an arbitrary path [tex]\gamma(t)\colon R\rightarrow GL(n,H)[/tex] such that [tex]\gamma(0)=\tilde1[/tex] and then take the derivative of that path at the identity.

I haven't seen a representation of [tex]GL(n,H)[/tex] so, if you find one, post it and we'll see if we can take it's derivative.

ZM

PS: typically the requirement for [tex]\hbox{det} g=1[/tex] for [tex]g\in G[/tex] means that the element in the Lie Algebra has zero trace.

Last edited:
Actually, GL(n,H) is the set of all matrices A in GL(2n,C) such that AJ=Ja where a is complex conjugate of A and J is 2n by 2n matrice with the rows
(0 -I) and (I 0), I is the n by n identity matrix.

Thanks

matt grime
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Differentiate the condition. The lie algebra is the set of matrices D satisfing Id+eD is in GL(n,H) mod e^2.

Thus (id+eD)J=J(Id+eD)^*

Thus eDJ=eJD* or DJ-JD^*=0. So the lie algebra is

gl(n,H):={ D : DJ-JD^*=0}

Many thanks, But how did you get the lie algebra is the set of matrices D satisfing Id+eD is in GL(n,H) mod e^2 by differentiation?

matt grime
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Because that is the definition of the lie algebra. I just wrote down the conditions necessary to be a tangent vector (and ignored convergence issues - everytihing is defined in terms of polynomials so there is no concern here).

Last edited:
Thanks, how about sl(n,H) ?

matt grime
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Do the same thing: it must be satisfy two conditions.