1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A question on Lie groups

1. Mar 15, 2007 #1

asm

Hi all,

Anybody knowes how to find, or at least knows the reference that shows, the real lie algebra of sl(n,H)?
    By sl(n,H), I mean the elements in Gl(n,H) [i.e. the invertible quaternionic n by n matrices] whose real determinant is one.

Many Thanks
    Asi

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2007 #2
    Given that the Lie Algebra of a Lie Group is identified with the tangent space of the Lie Group at the identity, I would create an arbitrary path [tex]\gamma(t)\colon R\rightarrow GL(n,H)[/tex] such that [tex]\gamma(0)=\tilde1[/tex] and then take the derivative of that path at the identity.

I haven't seen a representation of [tex]GL(n,H)[/tex] so, if you find one, post it and we'll see if we can take it's derivative.

ZM

PS: typically the requirement for [tex]\hbox{det} g=1[/tex] for [tex]g\in G[/tex] means that the element in the Lie Algebra has zero trace.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2007
  4. Mar 16, 2007 #3
    Actually, GL(n,H) is the set of all matrices A in GL(2n,C) such that AJ=Ja where a is complex conjugate of A and J is 2n by 2n matrice with the rows
    (0 -I) and (I 0), I is the n by n identity matrix.

Thanks

5. Mar 16, 2007 #4

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Differentiate the condition. The lie algebra is the set of matrices D satisfing Id+eD is in GL(n,H) mod e^2.

Thus (id+eD)J=J(Id+eD)^*

Thus eDJ=eJD* or DJ-JD^*=0. So the lie algebra is

gl(n,H):={ D : DJ-JD^*=0}

6. Mar 16, 2007 #5
    Many thanks, But how did you get the lie algebra is the set of matrices D satisfing Id+eD is in GL(n,H) mod e^2 by differentiation?

7. Mar 16, 2007 #6

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Because that is the definition of the lie algebra. I just wrote down the conditions necessary to be a tangent vector (and ignored convergence issues - everytihing is defined in terms of polynomials so there is no concern here).

Last edited: Mar 16, 2007
  8. Mar 16, 2007 #7
    Thanks, how about sl(n,H) ?

9. Mar 16, 2007 #8

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Do the same thing: it must be satisfy two conditions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?