Exploring the Question: Why Doesn't Light Have Infinite Mass and Energy?

• Thread starter Dejango
  • Start date
In summary, a high school student is wondering why light, which is a photon in motion, does not have infinite energy and mass, and therefore create destructive black holes. However, a photon's energy and mass are not affected by its motion. The student also provides a link for further clarification.
Dejango
Forgive me if this has been answered elsewhere on the forums, or if there really is an answer out there. I am a High School student and have been bothered by this problem for quite some time, so I was wondering if someone here could possibly help. Please though, I'm just a High School student, so there may be problems in this :).

Okay, a photon in motion would have both infinite energy and infinite mass. The infinite mass and the acceleration of the photon would warp the fabrics of space-time, creating an incredibly high amount of sub-atomic black holes. The power of an infinite mass black hole, multiplied by the trillions plus photons just here on earth, would spread out, causing everything exposed to light to be "sucked" into the black hole, thus causing light to be a destructive force. However, light does not do this. My question is (if everything so far is valid)-why does light not do this?

Thank you :).

Science news on Phys.org
A photon in motion does not have infinite energy nor infinite mass.

A photon has 0 mass and energy at rest. It's energy is based on it's momentum, but yet, it's mass is not affected by it's momentum.

This may help: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.ed...tiv/relmom.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahh thank you very much.

However, the link does not work :(.

1. What is light?

Light is a form of electromagnetic radiation that is visible to the human eye. It is made up of tiny particles called photons that travel in waves at a very high speed.

2. How do photons work?

Photons are the smallest units of light and they carry energy. When photons hit an object, they can be absorbed, reflected, or transmitted, which determines how we see objects and colors.

3. What is the speed of light?

The speed of light is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second, or about 670,616,629 miles per hour. This is the fastest known speed in the universe.

4. What is the relationship between light and energy?

Light and energy are closely related as photons carry energy and can transfer it to other particles when they interact. This is why light can be used to power solar panels and create electricity.

5. How does light travel through space?

Light travels through space in a straight line until it hits an object or is affected by gravity. It can also be bent by other forces, such as magnetic fields. In a vacuum, light can travel at its maximum speed without any resistance.