1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A question on limits?

1. Apr 16, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    F(x)=
    x^2*{Cos(Pi/x)} when x!=0 (Not equal to)

0 when x=0
    Is the function differentiable at x=0 ??

P.S.- Cos(pi/x) is under mod (Absolute value)

2. Relevant equations - Basic limit formulas.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried to differentiate it wrt to x but I am getting the function to be non differentiable
    However with first principle differentiation I get it as differentiable. Where am I going wrong? Any help appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2015 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I am confused as to what you want to show. To show "f is differentiable at x= 0" you want to show that [itex]\lim_{h\to 0} \frac{f(h)- f(0)}{h}[/itex] exits. That is not necessarily dependent on the derivative of f for x not 0.

4. Apr 16, 2015 #3
    you should just try to find the derivative at x=0 by applying the definition of derivative as a limit of a ratio. So you basically looking if the limit [itex]\lim\limits_{x \to 0}xcos(\pi/x)[/itex] exists.

I think what confuses you is that the derivative which in the interval [itex](-\infty,0)+(0,\infty)[/itex] is equal to[itex]2xcos(\pi/x)+sin(\pi/x)[/itex] cannot be defined for x=0, but thats the point we ve excluded 0 in order to be able to do these calculations for the derivative wrt x. For x=0 you just have to follow the definition of derivative as a limit of the ratio.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
  5. Apr 16, 2015 #4

pasmith

Homework Helper

The limit [tex]
    \lim_{x \to 0} f'(x) [/tex] does not exist. However the limit [tex]
    f'(0) = \lim_{x \to 0} \frac{f(x)}{x}[/tex] does exist. Thus [itex]f[/itex] is differentiable at 0 but [itex]f'[/itex] is not continuous at 0.

6. Apr 17, 2015 #5
    That was the exact point of confusion, I think I got it now though thanks.

This was the exact thing I needed to know, thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted