1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A question on maximization

1. Feb 16, 2009 #1
    Hi everyone,

Suppose f =f(x_1, x_2,...,x_n) be a real-valued, any-time differentiable function. Let each x_i=x_i(u_1, u_2,......,u_{2^n-1}) be a linear function of reall u_i's. Let f=g(u_1, u_2,...,u_{2^n-1}). Then is it right that Max f w.r.t. x_i=Max of g w.r.t. u_i?

Sorry for the inconvenience of typo. I don't know how to use LateX fonts here.

Regards,
    NaturePaper

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If a f has a maximum, then that maximum is a specific number. That number is larger than all other values of f no matter what variables you are using. Thus, the answer is "yes". The maximum value of f is independent of the variables.

4. Feb 17, 2009 #3
    @HallsofIvy,

Does the result will change if all the primary variables x_i's are restricted to have values from an interval [a,b] subset of R?

Thanks & regards,
    NaturePaper

5. Feb 17, 2009 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If you also restrict the "u" variables so that the range is the set of permissible x variables, no the result does not change. Of course, if you allow values of the u variables that would give unallowed x values, then maxima might well be different.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook