Why do all measurements of neutrino speed show a positive delta t?

In summary, all of the measurements show that neutrinos have a speed within the speed of light. However, there is still some debate about the faster than light issue.
Niceperson27
Hi people,

I have the following question:

First, here is a concise statement of the major neutrino speed measurements:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Measurements_of_neutrino_speed

As you can see all of them show that the speed of neutrino is within the speed of light, when taken into consideration the errors of course. But if you notice, almost all the measurements (MINOS (2007), OPERA (2011, 2012), ICARUS (2012), Borexino (see: improved analysis), LVD, Icarus, Opera) provide a positive δt (when no error is accounted for). Note that δt>0 indicates an earlier neutrino arrival time.

Shouldn't be that almost half of the measurement should provide a positive δt and half of them a negative one? I mean it does not make sense statistically.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You would need to approach this with a formal meta-analysis. Usually in meta-analysis it is not simply a vote-counting approach, but the weighting is determined roughly by the inverse of the variance. So if you have a large number of high variance studies with a positive δt and a small number of low variance studies with a negative δt then you may still get a negative δt in the meta-analysis.

I don't know that anyone has done such a study, but it would be interesting.

Sure,

but if you take a look at the variances you will see that only negative \delta t is for MINOS 2012 (new timing system, where they improved the measurements of the previous old one), where the variance is in fact quite small.

Of course we would need more measurements (than the 5-6 we have) to see what's going here, but remember something IMHO: I do not think we are over yet with the ''faster than light'' issue.

Niceperson27 said:
Sure,

but if you take a look at the variances you will see that only negative \delta t is for MINOS 2012 (new timing system, where they improved the measurements of the previous old one), where the variance is in fact quite small.

Of course we would need more measurements (than the 5-6 we have) to see what's going here, but remember something IMHO: I do not think we are over yet with the ''faster than light'' issue.

So, you think neutrinos travel faster than light?

I did not say that. I mean that I do not think that the scientific community has stopped discussing on this issue.

Niceperson27 said:
only negative \delta t is for MINOS 2012 (new timing system, where they improved the measurements of the previous old one), where the variance is in fact quite small.
So that one will be given the strongest weight.

The best measurements are from SN1987A. These are about a thousand times better than the other measurements. I don't think you learn anything by looking at measurements 1000x worse and seeing how they are distributed. At best, that tells you something about the systematics of inferior measurements, not anything about nature.

1. What is a neutrino?

A neutrino is a subatomic particle that has very little mass and no electric charge. It is one of the fundamental particles that make up the universe.

2. Why is the speed of neutrinos important?

The speed of neutrinos is important because it can help us understand the fundamental laws of the universe and the behavior of matter and energy. It can also help us in studying the properties of neutrinos and their role in various astrophysical processes.

3. What is the current understanding of the speed of neutrinos?

According to the Standard Model of particle physics, neutrinos are expected to travel at the speed of light. However, recent experiments have shown some evidence that neutrinos may have a slightly faster speed than light, which challenges our current understanding of physics.

4. How is the speed of neutrinos measured?

The speed of neutrinos is measured using highly sensitive detectors that can detect the arrival time of neutrinos from distant sources. These detectors are usually located deep underground to shield them from other particles and to reduce interference.

5. What are the implications of neutrinos traveling faster than light?

If it is proven that neutrinos do indeed travel faster than light, it could lead to a major breakthrough in our understanding of physics. It may also have implications for theories like Einstein's theory of relativity and the concept of causality. However, more research and experiments are needed to confirm this possibility.