1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Question on Newton's Laws

1. Oct 14, 2008 #1
    I have got this word problem and I tried to solve but could not find the exact answer and I need the way to do it because my upcoming test has similar problems to it,,

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Saturnn has an equatorial radius of 6.00 * 107m and a mass of 5.67 * 1026Kg. Calculate the following:
    a) the acceleration due to gravity of Saturn.
    b) how many times greater is a person's weight on Saturn compared to that on Earth?

2. Relevant equations
    F= mg
    Fg= Gm1m2 / r2

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't know where to start from because I am used to solve similar problems starting with the acceleration due to gravity which is known to be 9.81m/s2, but this only applies for Earth gravity and I don't know how to start solving this problem

Thank you for any help

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2008 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, you can use your second equation to derive a g for Saturn, can't you?

4. Oct 14, 2008 #3
    I guess so , the problem is that is joined the class late, and English is not my first language
    but I will try my best

Thank you

5. Oct 14, 2008 #4

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Sorry, my comment wasn't meant to come across as being abrupt. Perhaps I should rephrase it: how can you write your second equation so as to derive a 'g' for Saturn from it?

6. Oct 14, 2008 #5
    Don't worry

I will try doing it and I understand it better now

Thank you very much

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?