Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: A Question on Newton's Laws

1. Oct 14, 2008 #1
    I have got this word problem and I tried to solve but could not find the exact answer and I need the way to do it because my upcoming test has similar problems to it,,

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Saturnn has an equatorial radius of 6.00 * 107m and a mass of 5.67 * 1026Kg. Calculate the following:
    a) the acceleration due to gravity of Saturn.
    b) how many times greater is a person's weight on Saturn compared to that on Earth?

2. Relevant equations
    F= mg
    Fg= Gm1m2 / r2

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't know where to start from because I am used to solve similar problems starting with the acceleration due to gravity which is known to be 9.81m/s2, but this only applies for Earth gravity and I don't know how to start solving this problem

Thank you for any help

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2008 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, you can use your second equation to derive a g for Saturn, can't you?

4. Oct 14, 2008 #3
    I guess so , the problem is that is joined the class late, and English is not my first language
    but I will try my best

Thank you

5. Oct 14, 2008 #4

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Sorry, my comment wasn't meant to come across as being abrupt. Perhaps I should rephrase it: how can you write your second equation so as to derive a 'g' for Saturn from it?

6. Oct 14, 2008 #5
    Don't worry

I will try doing it and I understand it better now

Thank you very much

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook