Understanding Norton Method: A Question on Negative I in KCL Analysis

• Thread starter transgalactic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Method
In summary: If you wanted to write the equation to sum the currents flowing into the node, you would just need to change the sign of one of the terms.In summary, the conversation discusses the convention of current flow and how to properly analyze circuits using Kirchhoff's Current Law. The main point is that the direction of current can be chosen arbitrarily as long as it is consistent throughout the circuit. The symbols used in circuit diagrams may differ from traditional symbols, but the same principles still apply.
transgalactic
why "I" is negative??

http://img391.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img8855ew6.jpg

i know that KCL says that the sum of the currents that goes in
equals the sum of the currents that goes out

here i don't know what current goes into the node
and what current goes out??

Physics news on Phys.org
current in = current out
I (current into node) = (e-v)/R1 + e/R2 (current out of node)

i don't know how you decided the direction of each current

i am new to this stuff
and i think that the "I" current is pointed up
so it goes into the node
the second current the goes threw "R1" also come into the node
because the currect goes from the plus of the battery to minus of the battery

where did i go wrong

you can make current go any way you want as long as you stick to the same convention throughout the circuit (this is just something to keep in mind)

In this case, you have 3 lines in your circuit with respect to that node. Current is not pointing up. That is just a symbol for current. It says current is flowing in that line going that direction. It is going 'into' the node. What goes in must come out equally. If it goes in 1A, it has to come out 1A.

Now, if you want to make current at R1 going into the node, you can do it too but then the convention changes.
ie:
going in = going out
I + (v-e)/R1 = e/R2
e/R2 - I -(v-e)/R1 = 0
e/r2 -I +(e-v)/R1 = 0

Observe the sign symbol; -(v-e) = e-v
see how it comes back the same? When current flows one way, then your I is the voltage differential (from) - (to). If you made R1 current 'going into', it will be (v-e)/r1. If you made R1 current 'going out' from node, it will be (e-v)/R1.

Hope this helps

what conventions?

i can't see how the currents flow using these conventions

in what case we have e-v and in what v-e
?

delete

It would be best if you draw a simple circuit, with voltage and 1 resistor. What is the current? What happens if you add 2 resistor in series now. What is the current and voltage between both resistor. Keep adding, another resistor in parallel with 2 resistor in series and find current/voltage ...etc

Try this site
Read thru it
http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_1/chpt_6/4.html. Take a look at ohms law, simple current and voltage rules.

Last edited:
i know ohm laws

but here i can't construct them
because of these new symbols
they differ the normal symbols

transgalactic said:
i know ohm laws

but here i can't construct them
because of these new symbols
they differ the normal symbols

I'm not sure I understand your confusion. The symbol on the right is a current source. The arrow on the symbol shows which way the current is flowing through the current source. The "up" arrow means that the current is being pumped up from ground and into the top node.

The equation the way you have written it is summing all of the currents flowing *out* of that node, so the current from the current source leg of the circuit is marked as negative.

1. What is the Norton Method?

The Norton Method is a technique used in circuit analysis to find the current flowing through a specific branch of a circuit. It is an alternative approach to Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL) analysis, which uses the principle of conservation of charge to determine the current through a particular node in a circuit.

2. How does the Norton Method work?

The Norton Method involves replacing a specific branch in a circuit with a current source and a parallel resistance, known as the Norton equivalent circuit. The current source represents the current flowing through the branch, while the parallel resistance takes into account the resistance of the branch. The Norton equivalent circuit can then be analyzed using traditional circuit analysis techniques.

3. Can the Norton Method be used for all circuits?

No, the Norton Method is only applicable for linear circuits, where the voltage-current relationship follows Ohm's Law. Non-linear circuits, such as those containing diodes or transistors, cannot be analyzed using the Norton Method.

4. What is the difference between the Norton Method and KCL analysis?

The main difference between the Norton Method and KCL analysis is the approach used to determine the current through a specific branch. While KCL analysis uses the principle of conservation of charge, the Norton Method uses the Norton equivalent circuit to simplify the analysis. Additionally, the Norton Method is often preferred for circuits with many parallel branches, as it reduces the complexity of the analysis.

5. What are the advantages of using the Norton Method?

The Norton Method offers several advantages over traditional KCL analysis. It simplifies the analysis of circuits with multiple parallel branches, making it easier to solve complex circuits. Additionally, the Norton Method can be used for both AC and DC circuits, whereas KCL analysis is primarily used for DC circuits. Furthermore, the Norton Method provides a more intuitive understanding of current flow in a circuit, as it directly represents the current through a specific branch.