A question on papers on ARCHIVE

• Thread starter romeo6
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Papers
In summary, the conversation is about obtaining the original LATEX file when downloading papers from an archive, specifically the e-print arXiv. The person asking the question is looking to save time when referring to equations in their own work and is informed that by choosing "Source" when downloading a preprint, they can obtain the .tar.gz file which includes the original LATEX source and figure files. This information is provided by the user ZapperZ.
romeo6
Hey folks,

Sorry if this is in the incorrect section. I'm not sure where to post.

Quick question, when you download papers from archive say, does anyone know if it is possible to obtain the original LATEX file??

This would save me a lot of time in my own work when referring to equations etc.

Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
romeo6 said:
Hey folks,

Sorry if this is in the incorrect section. I'm not sure where to post.

Quick question, when you download papers from archive say, does anyone know if it is possible to obtain the original LATEX file??

you mean the PF archive?

This would save me a lot of time in my own work when referring to equations etc.

what i do is quote it (hmmm... maybe you can't do that to one in the archive...) to see what the LaTeX is.

I'm assuming you mean the e-print arXiv.

When you see a preprint that you want, click on "other" rather than the pdf of ps format. Note that not all paper would have this option because it depends on how the manuscript was submitted.

Then choose "Source". You will then download the .tar.gz file. This will include the original LaTex source and all figure files. You will have to ungzip and untar this file to get all of the original source file.

Zz.

Ok, that's great...exactly what I was looking for. Thanks so much ZapperZ.

:)

1. What is "A question on papers on ARCHIVE"?

"A question on papers on ARCHIVE" is a research paper or study that has been submitted to a preprint server called arXiv. It is a platform where researchers can freely share their findings and receive feedback from the scientific community before the paper is published in a journal.

2. How does arXiv work?

ArXiv is a preprint server, which means it is a platform where researchers can upload their articles or papers before they are published in a journal. These papers are then made available for anyone to read and provide feedback on. Once the paper is published in a journal, the preprint version is typically replaced with the published version.

3. Why do scientists use arXiv?

Scientists use arXiv for several reasons. It allows them to share their research with the scientific community quickly and receive feedback before publishing in a journal. It also increases the visibility and accessibility of their work, which can lead to more citations and collaborations. Additionally, arXiv allows for the dissemination of research that may not have been accepted for publication in a journal.

4. Is arXiv a peer-reviewed platform?

No, arXiv is not a peer-reviewed platform. It is a preprint server, which means that the papers uploaded to arXiv have not yet undergone the peer-review process. However, many papers on arXiv have been submitted to and published in peer-reviewed journals.

5. Are all fields of science represented on arXiv?

No, not all fields of science are represented on arXiv. The platform primarily focuses on physics, mathematics, computer science, quantitative biology, statistics, and quantitative finance. However, there are plans to expand to other fields in the future.