1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A question on reduced density matrix

1. Oct 18, 2011 #1
    I have worked out a problem on reduced density matrix, but my final expression looks kind of weird to me. I would appreciate someone can point out where I have gone wrong.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The problem goes like this: Consider a two spin 1/2 particles. Their Hilbert space is spanned bu |1>|1>, |1>|0>, |0>|1> and |0>|0>. Supposed the two particles are in a pure state:

|ψ> = (1/√N) (|1>|1> + |1>|0> + |0>|0>)

Determine the normalisation N and the reduced density matrix after averaging over the 2nd spin. Show that the reduced density matrix corresponds to a mixed state.

2. Relevant equations
    3. The attempt at a solution

For the normalisation part, I put

<ψ|ψ> = 1/N (1 + 1 + 1) = 1

Therefore, N=3.

Density matrix, ρ = |ψ><ψ|
    = (1/N) (|1>|1> + |1>|0> + |0>|0>)(<1|<1| + <1|<0| + <0|<0|)
    = (1/N) (|1>|1><1|<1| + |1>|1><1|<0| + |1>|1><0|<0|
    + |1>|0><1|<1| + |1>|0><1|<0| + |1>|0><0|<0|
    + |0>|0><1|<1| + |0>|0><1|<0| + |0>|0><0|<0|)

To find the reduced density matrix, I used

[itex]ρ_{1}=tr_{2}(\rho)[/itex]

which will leave me with only those terms where the second ket is in the same state as the second bra (i.e. both are 1 or 0).

This leaves me with: [itex]ρ_{1}[/itex] = (1/N) (2|1><1| + |1><0| + |0><1| + |0><0|)

I can see that this is a mixed state. The part I find weird is the 2nd and the 3rd term, i.e. |1><0| and |0><1|. For a density matrix of a single state (which the reduced density matrix is supposed to represent in a way), I thought it does not make sense for the ket and the bra to be in different states. Furthermore, I have earlier calculated that N=3. If my final expression is correct, the coefficient of all the four terms would have exceeded 1.

Can someone point out to me where I went wrong?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted