1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A question on Schroedinguer equation

1. Sep 19, 2005 #1
    let be the SE equation in the form:

[tex]i\bar\frac{d\psi}{dt}=-\frac{\hbar^{2}}{2m}D^{2}\psi+V(x)\psi+NV_{0}\psi [/tex]

where N is a big big number N>>1 then what would be the solution?..thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2005 #2
    That depends on V(x) doesn't it??

4. Sep 19, 2005 #3

Physics Monkey

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

eljose,

You will find that physical probabilities are independent of [tex] N [/tex] and [tex] V_0 [/tex]. The only thing that will depend on [tex] N V_0 [/tex] is the average total energy. This is a physical consequence of the fact that the reference point of potential energy is arbitrary in quantum mechanics.

This is mathematically evident in that any position independent potential can be absorbed into the wave function as a phase. You can check for yourself that the substitution [tex] \psi = e^{-i N V_0 \,t/\hbar} \psi' [/tex] yields a Schrodinger equation for [tex] \psi' [/tex] given by

[tex]
    i \hbar \frac{\partial \psi'}{\partial t} = - \frac{\hbar^2}{2 m} \nabla^2 \psi ' + V(x) \psi'
    [/tex]

However, since [tex] \psi [/tex] and [tex] \psi' [/tex] only differ by an overall phase, albeit a time dependent one, they produce the same physics.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?