A question on Shell Theorem

Main Question or Discussion Point

Imagine all the mass of the earth is in a shell of a thickness of R(earth)/2. So if the object is inside the shell or outside the shell, I know I can apply the shell theorem to solve the gravitational force acting on it. But, what if the object is IN the shell, in another words R(earth)/2<r<R(earth), how do we calculate the gravitational force?

Answers and Replies

so its like you have two shells. The object is outside one shell and inside the other. Apply the shell theorem to each one and what do you get.

Oh! So we only care about the smaller shell with radius= R/2. The distance from mass m to the center is r so basically we have the same formula as for an object outside the bigger shell= (GMm)/r^2 (only the r is different is the two cases)?

Bandersnatch
Science Advisor
Oh! So we only care about the smaller shell with radius= R/2. The distance from mass m to the center is r so basically we have the same formula as for an object outside the bigger shell= (GMm)/r^2 (only the r is different is the two cases)?
M is also different. After all, you don't care about the part of the shell above the object.

Likes 1 person
Oh yes! I really forget the M. Thank you very much!