A question on special relativity

In summary, the spatical separation ebtween these two events in an inertial frame is 3.6 e+3 microseconds.
stunner5000pt
two events occur at the same place in a certain inertial frame and are separated by a time interval of 5 microseconds. What is the spatical separation ebtween these two events in an inertial frame in which the events are separated by a time interval of 13 microseconds?

I must admit i am a a bit stumped on this one

on one hand i think it has something to do with simultaneity. But then the frame which observes the longer time must be in motion.

one the other hand i think that perhaps that the distance between the first and the second observer is so large that the doppler effect of light comes into play. But i am not sure

please help, thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Make use of the fact that the spacetime interval between any two events is an invariant.

Doc Al said:
Make use of the fact that the spacetime interval between any two events is an invariant.

what is an invariant? perhaps i know it as something else please describe

You know that I in the equation below does not change:

[tex]I = dx^2 + dy^2 + dz^2 - dct^2[/tex]

jcsd said:
You know that I in the equation below does not change:

[tex]I = dx^2 + dy^2 + dz^2 - dct^2[/tex]

ok that blows my mind even more...

someone suggested using a ratio between the two distances and times to get this answer but i was not usre about what he was saying

The Lornetz invariance of the interval is one of the most basic concepts in special relativity

you know that for any Minkowskian coordiantes:

[tex]dx^2 + dy^2 + dz^2 -dct^2 = dx'^2 + dy'^2 + dz'^2 - dct'^2[/tex]

even if you haven't been given this it can be proved from the Lorentz transformation.

so in the first inertial frame you know that dct = 5c and dx = dy = dz = 0, in the second frame dct' = 13c, so use the above equation to find: [itex]dx'^2 + dy'^2 + dz'^2[/itex] which by the Pythagorean theorum is the square of the distance between the two events in the primed frame.

Last edited:
i understand this now, that light travls in a spherical front and the distnace travled by the light is given by ct (obviously)

so the distnacei s 12c which is 12 micorseconds times c so distance is 3.6 e +3

thank yo very much

Last edited:

What is special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein in 1905, which describes the relationship between space and time in the absence of gravitational forces. It states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion, and the speed of light in a vacuum is the same for all observers regardless of their relative motion.

How is special relativity different from Newtonian mechanics?

Special relativity replaces the classical Newtonian mechanics, which was based on the assumption of absolute space and time. In special relativity, space and time are not absolute, and their measurements depend on the observer's frame of reference. Also, special relativity introduces the concept of spacetime, where space and time are unified as one entity.

What are the key principles of special relativity?

The key principles of special relativity are the constancy of the speed of light, the relativity principle, and the principle of equivalence. The constancy of the speed of light states that the speed of light in a vacuum is the same for all inertial observers. The relativity principle states that the laws of physics are the same for all inertial observers. And the principle of equivalence states that there is no experiment that can distinguish between the effects of gravity and uniform acceleration.

What are the implications of special relativity?

Special relativity has several implications, including time dilation, length contraction, and the relativity of simultaneity. Time dilation refers to the slowing down of time for an observer in motion relative to another observer. Length contraction refers to the shortening of an object's length in the direction of its motion. And the relativity of simultaneity states that two events that appear simultaneous to one observer may not be simultaneous to another observer in a different frame of reference.

How has special relativity been tested and verified?

Special relativity has been tested and verified through various experiments, including the Michelson-Morley experiment, which showed the constancy of the speed of light, and the Hafele-Keating experiment, which confirmed the effects of time dilation. Additionally, special relativity has been used to make accurate predictions in various fields, such as cosmology, particle physics, and GPS technology.