Calculating Speed and Distance for a Body on a Stretched Spring

In summary, we have a body at point A with a spring in relaxed status of length 0.6m. A power of 20N pulls the body to point B, 0.25m away. The speed of the body at point B is 3.87m/sec. The power then stops working at point B permanently and we are asked for the minimal distance the body will get to the wall. An attempt is made to use the equation of the body's kinetic energy being equal to its spring potential energy, but it is not possible as the amplitude is longer than 0.6m.
transgalactic
i added a picture of the problem!

when the body is at point A the spring
is in relaxed status.
it lengths in relaxed statues is 0.6m

then a power P =20N is pulling the body to point B AB=0.25m
i was asked what is his speed when it reaches point B

so i made an equation that the total work equals the energy in the end
minus 0 (because there were no energy at the start)
i got that the speed of the body is square root of 15
v=3.87m/sec

the power P stops working a point B permemantly.
now i am being asked

what is the minimal distance that that body will get to the wall?

i tried to do the equation the bodies kinetic enrgy equals to its spring potential energy
it doesn't work i get that the amplitude is longer than 0.6m (not possible)
please help

Attachments

• spring2.bmp
    33.8 KB · Views: 526
Physics news on Phys.org
transgalactic said:
so i made an equation that the total work equals the energy in the end
minus 0 (because there were no energy at the start)
i got that the speed of the body is square root of 15
v=3.87m/sec

My calculation agrees.

the power P stops working a point B permemantly.
now i am being asked

what is the minimal distance that that body will get to the wall?

i tried to do the equation the bodies kinetic enrgy equals to its spring potential energy
it doesn't work i get that the amplitude is longer than 0.6m (not possible)
please help

Can we see your steps please?

1. What is the formula for calculating the speed of a body on a stretched spring?

The formula for calculating the speed of a body on a stretched spring is: speed = √(k/m) * amplitude, where k is the spring constant, m is the mass of the body, and amplitude is the maximum displacement of the body from its equilibrium position.

2. How do you calculate the distance traveled by a body on a stretched spring?

To calculate the distance traveled by a body on a stretched spring, you can use the formula: distance = (1/2) * k * (amplitude)^2, where k is the spring constant and amplitude is the maximum displacement of the body from its equilibrium position.

3. What are the units for speed and distance in the context of a body on a stretched spring?

The units for speed are m/s and the units for distance are meters. This is because the speed is measured in distance over time (meters per second) and the distance is measured in meters.

4. Can the speed and distance of a body on a stretched spring change over time?

Yes, the speed and distance of a body on a stretched spring can change over time. This is because the spring constant and mass of the body may change, and the amplitude of the body's displacement can also vary.

5. What is the significance of the spring constant in calculating the speed and distance of a body on a stretched spring?

The spring constant is a measure of the stiffness of the spring, and it plays a crucial role in determining the speed and distance of a body on a stretched spring. A higher spring constant means a stiffer spring, which will result in a higher speed and distance for the body as it oscillates.