Can Ricci Flow be Used in Lorentz Manifolds?

In summary: In any case, the authors of this paper are aware of this limitation and acknowledge it in their introduction. However, they argue that the Lorentzian manifold they use in their construction still satisfies certain properties required for the application of Ricci flow, such as the existence of a metric with positive Ricci curvature. They also provide a proof that their construction is valid in this case. In summary, the authors are able to use Ricci flow in a Lorentzian manifold by showing that it satisfies the necessary conditions for its application.
wLw
https://arxiv.org/pdf/1812.06239.pdf
In this paper,the authors use ricci flow to construct Lifshitz spaces. But it is known that ricci flow is limited by Riemannian manifold, which has a positive metric. but in this paper the author use ricci flow in a lorentz manifold, whose signature is(-,+,+,+), is not a Riemannian maniflod. and the metric here is ##d s^{2}=l^{2}\left[-f_{1}(\lambda, r) d t^{2}+\frac{1}{r^{2}} d r^{2}+f_{3}(\lambda, r) d x_{i} d x^{i}\right], \qquad i=1,2, \ldots D##

My question is: Why the authors can utilize ricci flow in a lorentz space? can you help me?

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Jimster41
Physics news on Phys.org
Very naive answer here: My read of the wiki on Lorentz Manifold is that it is a special case of a pseudo-Riemannian manifold that has the right non-degenerate properties (and so differentiable algebraic forms) everywhere even though the requirement of positive semi-definiteness is "relaxed".

IOW I think the answer is that the Lorentzian manifold can be shown to be mathematically "close-enough".

I'm trying to answer in the hopes that someone who really knows about Ricci Flow will chime in.

wLw said:
it is known that ricci flow is limited by Riemannian manifold

When you say "it is known", do you mean it has been proved as a theorem, or just that you read it someplace like Wikipedia?

1. How does Ricci Flow work in Lorentz Manifolds?

The Ricci Flow is a mathematical tool used to study the geometry of a space. In Lorentz Manifolds, it is used to study the curvature of spacetime. It works by continuously deforming the metric of the manifold, while preserving its curvature properties.

2. Can Ricci Flow be used to solve the Einstein Field Equations in Lorentz Manifolds?

Yes, Ricci Flow can be used to find solutions to the Einstein Field Equations in Lorentz Manifolds. By applying the Ricci Flow equation to the metric of the manifold, one can find a solution that satisfies the Einstein Field Equations.

3. What are the applications of using Ricci Flow in Lorentz Manifolds?

The applications of using Ricci Flow in Lorentz Manifolds are vast. It can be used to study the geometry of spacetime, understand the behavior of gravitational waves, and analyze the dynamics of black holes. It also has applications in theoretical physics, such as in the study of quantum gravity.

4. Are there any limitations to using Ricci Flow in Lorentz Manifolds?

One limitation of using Ricci Flow in Lorentz Manifolds is that it only works for certain types of solutions to the Einstein Field Equations. It also requires a complete and smooth initial metric, which may not always be available in real-world scenarios.

5. How does Ricci Flow relate to the concept of curvature in Lorentz Manifolds?

Ricci Flow is directly related to the concept of curvature in Lorentz Manifolds. It is a tool used to study the curvature of a space, and it can be used to find solutions to the Einstein Field Equations, which describe the curvature of spacetime. By continuously deforming the metric, Ricci Flow can reveal important information about the curvature of a Lorentz Manifold.